Chapter 2 - Surprise

That Morning

    "King Breaven, Alpha Xaten of the Wandering Foes Pack requests for your help once again." My father repeated what a messenger had said moments ago.

My father's action was to evoke a response out of me but I largely ignored it.

I could only focus on my brother and his mate, Marla, by my side. They had their hands intertwined together.

When will I have that?

    "I believe we expected that when we received the invitation Your Highness. The question now is what to do." My mother, the Queen and Luna, said kindly.

    "I want to hear my son's thoughts on the matter."

This time I caught the cue. I put down the spoon I held

    "I believe we should accept the offer to the least of our capacity. The name Wandering Foes holds both as a kingdom and a pack demands we hold a social responsibility. We must uphold our image."

I knew from my father's approving nod that I had made him proud.

    "Well done son."

    "Thank you father."

    "You look a little tired son. Did you not have enough rest?" Mother asked me.

    "How could he, Mother? I imagine he stayed up all night thinking of Princess Svannah." Prince Derrick, my brother, said with a silly smile.

I rolled my eyes at him.

    "You're still infatuated with the human princess?" Father asked, his tone dancing on the line of anger and amusement.

    "Her name is Princess Svannah." I corrected him calmly.

I then took a sip of my porridge, carefully avoiding eye contact with Father.

    "Do not be worried, my love. Soon he shall find his mate and tha will be the end of this human nonsense." Mother assured him.

I clenched my fist but said nothing.

For the most part, the morning's meal went by without any address to all present.

    "Zan, you were meant to handle the court cases in court today but you look like you could use some rest. You're excused today." Father said to me when we were done eating

    "Thank you Father."

He said nothing but I knew I had disappointed him. The offer was made to be declined.

I waited for Mother and Father to leave before I did.

Derrick walked up to me.

    "I'm sorry I mentioned Princess Svannah. I thought it would make light if things." He apologized.

    "You always speak without thinking." I said a bit harsher than I intended to.

Derrick looked away. His face red with shame.

    "But I hold no grudges. My feelings were never a secret."

Derrick smiled. From the corner of my eye, I saw him share the moment with Marla and I wished I had not.

    "Do you want to go riding today? The day promises to be lovely and we have not had time to do so together in a while." Prince Derrick suggested.

    "Fine. Will Marla join us?" I asked knowing fully well that it would upset his feelings.

    "Yes she will. Do you have a problem with that?"

His voice challenged me but I decided not to give him the answer he desired.