March 10, 1812

The chill of winter gives way to the promise of spring as I sit by my desk, the golden light of dawn casting a warm glow upon the letter I have just received from my esteemed Aunt, Lady Catherine. Her words, penned with the expectation of acquiescence, summon me to Rosings Park, that grand edifice of ostentation and familial obligation.

Yet, within the neatly scribed lines of duty and decorum lies another, more compelling call to action. Word has reached me, through channels both direct and serendipitous, that Elizabeth Bennet is to reside at the parsonage in Hunsford for a span of time, a guest of the Collinses. The knowledge of her nearness to Rosings alters the very fabric of my intentions, lending a weight to my aunt's invitation that was heretofore absent.

In the quiet hours of this morning, as I await the Colonel's company for breakfast, I am struck by the duality of my circumstances. The prospect of being in Elizabeth's company once more fills me with a fervent, if not entirely rational, sense of anticipation. Yet, it is a sentiment tempered by the remembrance of the formidable expectations that my aunt harbors regarding her daughter, Anne, and the role I am expected to play in her future.

Lady Catherine's design in pairing me with her daughter has been a constant, albeit subtle, pressure since my youth. Anne, with her delicate health and reserved nature, has always been presented as a suitable match, a union that would consolidate familial ties and estates. My aunt's machinations, while transparent, are not without a certain maternal cunning.

As the Colonel joins me, his countenance cheerful and unburdened by the weight of such expectations, I find myself envious of his freedom. We discuss our impending visit to Rosings, and I am careful to craft my words with a casualness that belies the true depth of my eagerness to see Elizabeth again.

The decision is made; we shall depart for Kent forthwith. The Colonel, ever the soldier, seeks the reprieve of the countryside after the dreariness of winter barracks. As for myself, I cannot deny that the landscapes of Rosings hold little allure compared to the singular pleasure I anticipate in observing Elizabeth once more.

As I seal this entry with wax, I am aware that the days ahead will test the fortitude of my resolve. I must navigate the expectations of my aunt, the attentions she will undoubtedly lavish upon me as a suitor for her daughter, and the pull of my own heart toward a woman whose lively eyes and quick wit have ensnared me more completely than I dare admit.

The stage is set for a sojourn that may well dictate the course of my future, for better or for worse. How I shall comport myself in the face of these challenges is a matter for the fates to decide. My only hope is that, in the end, I may act with honor and integrity, even as the tempest of my emotions threatens to steer me off course.

Fitzwilliam Darcy