Chapter 15

She walked aimlessly through the city streets. Her mind was a chaotic swirl of emotions and conflicting thoughts. She was lost and disconnected from the world around her, unable to make sense of the jumbled mess inside her head. Time seemed to stretch on endlessly as she wandered, passing by dimly lit alleyways and bustling crowds of people near restaurants and shops.

         As the night wore on, she finally found her way back to her home. She was exhausted and emotionally drained from the long journey. Despite the comfort of her familiar surroundings, she couldn't shake the feeling of loneliness that swirled around her like a dark veil.

          Stepping through the doors, she was instantly slapped with the reminder that Eric was not there. Eric wouldn't look at her from the kitchen and smile. He wasn't about to come out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist, smelling of his favorite shower gel. The only thing left behind were the memories of him, and they were driving her insane.

"Eric, I'm home. What do you want for dinner, baby?"

She laughed at herself. Did she expect that Eric was going to reply? More importantly, would she still be standing in this apartment if he did?

           She opened the fridge and looked at the beers she had lined up in neat rows on the second shelf. She patted a finger on her chin as she thought. She could toss it into a trash bag, but it would be too heavy to haul to the dumpster. The bag might not make it. She huffed as yet another problem materialized in her life.

          She grabbed a bottle opener and picked up the first bottle. She was an intelligent girl, and she could solve this problem. She knew she could.

         She uncapped the bottle and emptied the beer down the sink. Thoughts lifted in her mind as the silence surrounded her. She wondered what she and Eric would be up to if he were still alive. She certainly wouldn't be on indefinite leave.

           She laughed and uncapped the second bottle. Her mind drifted toward Alice. She was worried about her sister. She hoped she wasn't mad at Annika for making a mess of everything. She regretted ever accepting the job to help Rio. It would have been better for her and Alice if Annika and Rio had never met. She wished things could go back to the way it had been. But she couldn't reverse time and the foolish decisions she made.

✵✵✵✵✵

         She tossed the last beer bottle in the trash bag. It clinked against the other empty bottles. She started to wonder how those men had gotten into Rio's house. Everything that unfolded the previous night was a bit hazy because she was drunk.

          She pulled the string and closed the trash bag. She sighed loudly. If Eric were here, she wouldn't have to carry the heavy, cumbersome bag of empty beer bottles down to the dumpster. She scanned the room as if she believed she would find him somewhere.

            The clock in the hallway ticked like an ominous reminder that time paused for no one. The apartment smelt like beer, tempting Annika to drink the pain away. She toyed with the idea. She wanted to give up, to lay down for the ten-count. She wanted life to win. It felt easier than dealing with all the trouble she was in.

          The doorbell rang, and she jumped. She dropped the bag on the ground, swearing while she walked to the door. She unlocked the lock and yanked the door open. The smiling face on the other side lifted her depression a bit.

"Hey," Alice said. "These are for you." She stuffed a bouquet of beautiful red roses into Annika's arms.

"Why'd you get me roses?" Annika asked.