Chapter 25

As she lay beside Rio, lost in her thoughts, she felt comforted by the steady rhythm of his heart. It was like a soothing melody playing in her ears, each beat resonating within her. She listened intently to the calming sound, taking in the warmth of his breath on her face as he dozed. Every second Annika spent with him was one of contentment, a feeling that she wished she could hold onto forever.

When the morning came, she knew the peaceful moment would end. Rio would take off for the day, leaving her trapped in the quiet hotel room with the thoughts she had now grown to dread.

She snuggled closer, nuzzling his cheek with the tip of her nose. He stirred, omitting a low groan that made her smile loudly. She ran her fingers down his chest and stomach. Suddenly, she was second-guessing herself again. It was hard to wrap her mind around how she ended up lying in this man's arms, sharing the same air, listening to him breathe.

She touched his nose with a finger that slipped over the sharpness of his cheekbones. Even in the low glow of the lamp, the vibrant pink undertone of his fair complexion was still visible.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked with tenderness.

"If I can squeeze in a nap between venues tomorrow."

"Why don't you get some sleep? I won't bother you."

She felt terrible for pestering him.

He smiled. "I love you. I know it's too soon to say something like that. Don't get scared and run away." He chuckled. "I'm not a psycho."

She allowed his words to take effect. Searching her mind, she tried to find the best response to such a revelation. Should she make a revelation of her own or remain quiet?

She propped herself on her elbow and looked him in the eyes as she weighed the facts. She didn't want to hurt him, not after knowing how devoted he had been to her.

"I love you too, Rio. Anyone who meets you can't help but fall in love with you. You are magical that way." She leaned in and kissed his lips. "Now get some sleep." She kissed his forehead.

As he closed his eyes, she lay back on her soft pillow, trying to keep herself occupied with her thoughts so he could rest. She turned to her side and switched off the bedside lamp. Suddenly, the heaviness of sleep weighed down her eyelids. She rolled back towards Rio, feeling the warmth of his body beside her, and let her eyes close. Perhaps a few hours of rest would help her mind feel more refreshed.

She bolted from the bed as three fierce booms resonated inside the posh suite. She was instantly on guard. Rio was up, grabbing his bathrobe from the sofa. The sight of his bare behind distracted her for a moment. Annika grabbed her robe and draped it over her bare skin. She tied the lapels, glimpsing at Rio again.

"Wait here!" Rio said.

"Excuse me? I protect you."

He threw his hands up in surrender and allowed her to lead the way out of the bedroom. He nudged her out of the way once they were at the door. Another series of loud knocks made Annika and Rio pause, their eyes staring at the door with apprehension. She was too worried to fight with him about who opened the door for their unwanted visitor.

"Who is it?" Rio called.

Annika's heart raced as she held her breath in anticipation, waiting for the unexpected visitor to respond. Every second felt like an eternity as she stared intently at the door. The silence in the room was deafening, broken only by the drumming of her heartbeat in her ears.

"Rio, darling, it's me," a woman said from behind the solid door.

Rio's lip curled in a scowl, and his eyebrows knitted together in a deep frown.