Chapter 24

It was not as chaotic as she assumed it would be. The managers and staff kept the entire thing together with a tight timetable. It was a busy schedule for Rio, with a constant stream of practice, rehearsals, interviews, and fan interactions. Despite the dark cloud hovering over his show, he kept building momentum for his album launch.

        For Annika, it was boredom. She was cooped up in her hotel room, like a lonely housewife waiting for her husband's return. Her handsome, famous husband, whose mere name gave her goosebumps. It still felt like a dream to her, one she didn't wish to wake from. People treated her differently simply because she was associated with a star. They catered to her every whim and fancy, ensuring she was happy. Usually, when people treated her nicely, it was because she was a policewoman. This time, it was Rio they respected.

         Sitting in the luxurious luxe-style bedroom, she kept the window open to let in the sounds and smells of the city as she wrote. She had convinced herself it was time to relax. Despite her desire to venture outside and discover the world around her, she found herself confined to the four walls of her room due to an unexpected issue that had surfaced overnight, rendering her unable to leave. She was trending! She had been trending since they arrived at the airport. Annika concluded that attempting to hide her relationship with Rio was a foolish endeavor. His fans had a knack for detective work. Once the shows began, Rio would drag her to the different venues across this legendary city, and they would know.

         Outside the bedroom door, a sudden bluster drew her attention away from her thoughts. Annika recognized Rio and Oliver's voices but not the other two persons desperately trying to explain something to the singer.

"It's the latest fashion trend. I thought you would want to keep up!" a woman said.

"At least give it a try. There's nothing wrong with it!" Oliver lent them his support.

"Then you wear it!" Rio hissed at his manager.

Annika puckered her lips and nodded slowly in understanding. It was a fashion debate. It was something she had no clue about. A mountain of clothes still sat in a bundle on the bed behind her. All gifts from Rio. He stuck to her theme, leather, and jeans but added a splash of color and glitter to the pieces. Annika had yet to try them on. She dreaded drawing more attention to herself.

"It's just for two hours," the lady said. "You can change as soon as the show is done."

"No, I'm not wearing that! I'm not a male prostitute. I'm a singer."

"Boss Ling asked me to dress you up a little sexier for this album launch. Your fans are growing with you. Their older. They want to see you dressed this way."

"What's the matter with you? You have a perfect body." Oliver roared. "Since when are you shy?"

"Since you asked me to show off my body on stage? What are you and Ling planning on doing? Selling me to the highest bidder?"

"Rio!" Oliver's high-pitched tone made Annika chuckle. She imagined the look of shock on his face.

A knock on the door made her spin her office chair around. Alice's smiling face appeared in the small space, long chandelier earrings dangling from her earlobes. Annika smiled. Seeing her sister was the most enjoyable event of the day.

"Hey! Can I hide from that in here?" she asked.

"Make yourself comfortable!" Annika invited her with a swoop of a hand.

"...Rio...what are you?...stop that! HEY..." Oliver's screams made Annika cringe.

Alice peeked to see what was happening and then turned to give her report with a deep sigh. "And Rio just threw a three-thousand dollar outfit out the window." She grimaced loudly.