Chapter 2: Icebreaker

9:01PM

"Did I stutter, Rose? I said tell me about yourself, or do I need one of the nurses to tell me about you... that wouldn't end very well, would it?" Olivia starts to interrogate me as I start daydreaming about how to get out of here.

"So.. my name is-"

"I know that much!" Olivia snaps. "I want to know where you're from and what you do... or is it... confidential?" She snarls and from her deep voice I understand I get shivers.

"Firstly, I don't need your attitude all the time. And to answer your question I'm from Seattle, I'm 19 years old and I was a barista at my parents' cafe until I ended up here."

"FIRSTLY, I don't think you realise who you're talking to, Rosalynne." Olivia stares into my soul as she starts walking towards me. "Remember my words... comply. or. die. I'm not very hesitant in planning your murder next so you better watch out." She whispers in my ears. Why is she always getting all up in my business and why was this girl always so conceited? She hadn't said one nice thing to me since I came, when she does say something half-nice, she basically takes it back in a split second. I was already done with her since I came and she was driving me crazy... this was the first time I wanted my intrusive thoughts to overpower me. However, I knew if I objected to her rudeness I would never see the light of day again, I was forced against my own will to be nice. I felt like a robot in my own body.

"So, Olivia. What did you do before you came here... I want to know everything." Olivia gave me a sensitive look and looked as if she was holding back tears. Well done Rosalynne, you made her cry, I thought to myself, still clueless of what was going to happen next.

"Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't know you'd rea-" Olivia suddenly burst out into laughter.

"So gullible. Being gullible and naive gets you nowhere in life... you've gotta be assertive and not believe everything you see, like me." She gently pats my head as I move her hand away, still annoyed. "To answer your question, I was adopted at a very young age, I don't know why... everything seemed to be going great until that day. I didn't like my adoptive parents. After I was adopted, I started to withdraw myself from social situations, causing me to make too less to no friends" She looked serious. "I tried working jobs, but it was hopeless, after every job I'd just get fired." She looked as though she was about to tear up...

 Without thinking, I gave her a compassionate hug. No wonder she was like this, she was neglected as a child and felt as though she was seen as wasted potential. A bit like me, I thought, I was always insecure about everything I did, from walking to talking, to even breathing. A few seconds later, I found her hugging me back, as I felt a warm teardrop fall on my shoulder.

"Thank you." Olivia says, still sobbing. "However this doesn't mean I'm going to give you special treatment. You're just like everyone else until I know you properly." She whispers, her voice still shaking from crying. This girl still found ways to be sassy even when she's upset  and vulnerable... she was something else, was it wrong that I felt bad for her?

She wiped away her tears and acted like everything was normal after 15 minutes of crying, as we talked I got to see how similar she was to me. Our favourite colour combination was pastel pink and pastel green, and we both liked music and anime comics. However, she wanted to be a detective when she grew up and I wanted to be a doctor... opposites attract I guess. I liked this side of her, she seemed like a whole different person from when I woke up in this room. By the time we stopped talking it was 1am, and I suddenly yawned and started stretching. 

"Do I bore you that much?" Olivia asks, letting out a slight chuckle. "Get some rest... but don't get startled in the morning." What did she mean by that? I let the thought go and went to bed, my brain was not rested well enough to decipher her secret codes.