22 - Kiersten

We do the whole thing. The cake, the nerf gun fights, the stupidly slow happy birthday song, the tearing open presents. It's the best. Just the absolute best. Amid the chaos, we all keep our eyes on Miss Chloe. She doesn't partake too much. A casual observer really, but we all can tell she's feeling the love. She seems a bit more reserved than usual, but we figure she's just taking a step back to let the boys have their fun.

The storm calms as the boys come down from their birthday sugar high. Eventually they lock themselves away in Drew's bedroom to play video games. Us big kids take a sigh of relief and crash in the living room. There's still silence as we recover from the madness. Then the realization hits. Mr. Purdy and Miss Chloe aren't here. Without speaking we all collectively think to ourselves, how long have they been gone?

"Wait," Whitney says, always the one to say what we're all thinking. "When's the last time we saw Mr. Purdy and Miss Chloe?"

We all look at each, exchanging glances. You know, that's a good question.

"They were definitely here for nerf guns," Bridgette says.

"And the cake cutting," Whitney adds.

"And the presents."

"But after that?"

We let it sink in. There was a fairly large stretch of time when the boys were playing with the shiny new toys that none of us remember seeing either of them.

I see it in Whitney's eyes. They widen like a cat when a bird flies past the window. The hunt is on.

"We gotta find them."

I feel Matt tense up next to me. I look over to him to check that he's okay and I see the concern all over his face. I can tell he's uncomfortable and not quite sure how to feel. The guilt hits me. We all got so caught up in the gossip and the drama that we got lost in it and forgot how real this is.

Sal and Teddy notice it too and are quick to slow Whitney down.

"Hey," Sal says. "Maybe let's leave 'em be."

"Yeah, Whit, let it go," Teddy seconds.

Bridgette and I nod along and Whitney realizes that in her lust for sensationalism, she maybe wasn't the best friend.

"Sorry, Matty," she mutters.

"Hey, let's get out of here," Teddy motions to Bridgette.

She nods and Sal and Whitney follow suit while I stay behind.

"You okay?"

"Yeah," Matty kind of mutters quietly. He's definitely not okay, at least not 100%, but I don't want to push.

"I just wanna be with you."

"You are with me," I smile and wrap him up in my arms.

He nuzzles in and rests his head on my shoulder. My heart flutters and I'm comforted by the warm fuzzy heat that flushes my cheeks. I can't believe we went so long without this.

"I wanna go to the lake," he whispers.

He lifts his head and looks into my eyes with a melancholy pleading. It melts my heart into apple pie filling.

"Let's go," I whisper back.

He takes my hand, but doesn't get up right away. He lingers, savoring this moment for just a little bit longer before we let our hearts lead us to our tiny slice of this world.
The place where we belong.

💚

It's a slow and peaceful walk. Matt's eyes wander around in wonder as he smiles to himself. He missed this place. The gentle breeze, the smell of fresh cut grass, the dogwood trees. All the little magic of a simple, small town life.

"You know, I ran past that house, man I don't know, dozens of times and I never noticed that wind chime."

My eyes search, but I can't quite find it.

"Look, right there," he says gently and softly lifts my chin to look up.

The sun catches it right at the perfect moment, splashing rainbow sparkles on the rock garden beneath it.

"That's so pretty."

"Ain't it?"

He smiles and gives my hand a squeeze. My heart's so happy, it's all so perfect, it scares me. I don't want to lose this.

"Matty?"

"Yeah?"

"Promise me you'll stay?"

He gives me a soft smile, cups my chin gently in his hands and locks his lips with mine. It tastes so sweet, just like the first time.

"I'm not giving this up for nothing."

💚

As we near the lake, the wind picks up and we hear the water lapping against the shore. We listen intently, letting it calm us both. We get closer still and we hear something else. We look at each, a little dazed and confused. Is that...talking?

Matt motions towards a nearby tree, the perfect spot to scope out the situation. He pulls back the leafy branches. His face sinks. He swallows hard.

"Who is it?"

He's speechless. I'm too curious not to look, so I peek my head through. My jaw drops.

Sitting out there on the dock, feet in the water and inches apart, is Mr. Purdy and Miss Chloe.