CHAPTER TWO

Two years later,

Here we were - senior year. It felt like an eternity trapped in this pressure cooker, but just one more year, and then I could finally escape

The emerald Mini Cooper screeched into the school parking lot, tires howling like banshees in protest against the punishment of screeching asphalt.

"Isa!" I shrieked, heart catapulting into my throat as the little car swerved precariously, threatening to become one with a nearby light pole.

Isa, however, remained unfazed. A mischievous grin stretched across her face, as if the near-collision was a mere trifle. "What's the big deal? Olivia was about to snag that spot, and there's no way I'm letting that queen bee walk all over me anymore."

A reluctant smile tugged at the corners of my lips. It was impossible not to be impressed by Isa's metamorphosis over the summer. Gone was the girl who clung to the shadows, replaced by this radiant, confident butterfly. If only I could shed my own inner turmoil with such ease.

Her gaze flicked to the rear view mirror, where she critically examined her reflection. "So, how do I look?" she inquired, tilting her head for a better angle.

The camping trip for self-discovery had been a turning point for Isa in more ways than one. Not only did she return with newfound confidence that practically shimmered around her, but she also exhibit sapphire blue highlights in her hair, the color reminiscent of a whimsical fairy. It was a bold choice that complemented her sun-kissed skin and the way she held her head a little higher now, no longer seeking to disappear into the background.

The skirt she wore was another evidence to her newfound boldness. It was short, daringly so, flirting with the possibility of revealing more than intended with a strong gust of wind.

Unfastening my seatbelt, I offered, "You've always been beautiful, Isa."

She scoffed, playfully rolling her eyes. "Only to you, Val. And maybe Mom, but you guys are biased."

"Hey!" I mock-glowered, nudging her playfully.

Isa stuck out her tongue in reply, a spark of steely determination flickering in her eyes. "Today's the day," she declared, her voice ringing with newfound conviction. "I'm going to walk through those school doors with my head held high, just like you."

A warm yet awkward smile bloomed on my face. Isa saw me as this fearless light of courage, oblivious to the truth that simmered beneath the surface.

Suddenly, a loud rapping sound shattered the peaceful moment. Olivia Smith, the epitome of a mean girl, stood at the driver's side window, her nostrils flaring with fury. "You bitch!" she shrieked, her perfectly manicured nails scraping against the tinted glass.

Two girls who trailed behind her like devoted ducklings, mimicked her outrage, their faces flushed a similar shade of crimson. The source of their ire was undoubtedly the coveted parking spot Isa had so valiantly claimed. Olivia Smith, with her blonde hair, statuesque figure, and designer wardrobe, was accustomed to getting whatever she desired. Her father, a prominent minister, and her mother, a fashion powerhouse, ensured her place at the top of the social hierarchy at Imperial Academy, where only the top ten percent reigned supreme. Olivia reveled in her status, reminding everyone at every turn of her superiority.

Isa lowered the car window with a dramatic flourish. A slow, feral grin stretched across her face, widening until it threatened to split her cheeks in two. Then, with a flick of the second that spoke volumes about her newfound audacity,  Her middle finger shot up, extended in a salute aimed directly at Olivia.

The effect was instantaneous. Olivia, the queen bee of Imperial Academy, was  speechless. Her perfectly manicured facade crumbled, replaced by a gaping maw that could rival a surprised goldfish. Her loyal minions, equally stunned into silence, mirrored her expression, their carefully applied lip gloss glinting vacantly in the sunlight. Even I found myself momentarily struck dumb, my jaw hanging slack in disbelief.