Chapter 106 Hundred-day Banquet

Although he had expected it, Zhou Niannan's heart still sank when he heard Cui Muli say this.

He clenched his hands into fists then quickly relaxed them, saying: "Since she accepted the clay figurine I made, she should become my wife."

Cui Muli's expression was pale, as if he hadn't heard anything.

Zhou Niannan observed Cui Muli sharply. He was not stupid and knew that what Cui Er said must have a purpose. However, no matter what, they had the same goal and no one would allow Xie Miao to become a monk.

Even if all the nunneries in the capital were demolished, he would still fight for people with the Buddha.

As for whether Xie Miao accepted the clay figurine? That's not important. Even if the clay figurine changes on the windowsill in the rainy night, he will make a new one and send it to her with his sincerity.

*

The day before Cui Musheng's hundred-day banquet, Chief Minister Luo brought his beloved disciple, Sun Shenyuan, to visit old Cui Taifu in an aggressive manner. He claimed that the Cui family uncle favour the rich and disdained the poor. He insisted on obstructing a young man and young woman who had mutual affection for each other. Sun Shenyuan decided to give up the imperial examination, and chose to be recommended to an official position, just to be able to come to the door as soon as possible to ask for the Second Young Lady of the Cui family.

Although he was born into a poor family, he is extremely talented and resourceful. If he really gave up the imperial examination and took the recommendation, wouldn't he be eager for quick success? In order to pick up the sesame seeds in front of him, he is throwing aside the big watermelon in the future.

Luo Biyu wanted to seek justice from Cui Taifu. He asked Cui Taifu to call Eldest Master Cui, Cui Shida, to debate with him face-to-face about right and wrong. After Cui Taifu thought about it, he asked someone to call Cui Shida.

Let's talk about Cui Shida. His attitude towards his wife, children, and servants can be said to be arbitrary. But when it comes to Luo Biyu, an old official who has been in the court for many years, who is able to have verbal battles with court ministers eight hundred times, who treats the dying as if they were old living officials, he is dismissed with just a few words. He was furious with the other party but he was left speechless.

Luo Biyu firstly said: It is better to bully a white-bearded man than to bully a poor young man! (quoted from 'Twenty Years of Prosperity Dreams')

Luo Biyu secondly said: A pair of son and daughter have a strong love, so there is no need to beat the mandarin ducks with words! (quoted from 'Parrot Tomb Zhenwen Ji')

Luo Biyu thirdly said: People at that time did not know the Ling Yun tree. They waited until the Ling Yun tree reached its peak! (quoted from 'Xiaosong')

(t/n: the above sentence expresses that people in the world do not recognise that this is a tree that will reach the sky in the future. It is satire on people's short-sightedness and lack of vision, and laments that talented young people are often looked down upon by some short-sighted people.)

Luo Biyu was originally from a poor family. He relied on the imperial examination to enter officialdom and was promoted from an eighth-rank official to a second-rank minister. Although he was not popular with everyone, he won the respect of Emperor Chengxuan for his eccentricity and integrity. He paid more attention to talented young men who were also from poor backgrounds, in order to break the monopoly of noble children in the court. Now Sun Shenyuan had a chance to make a splash in the imperial examination, but he changed his mind because of Cui Shida's contempt. On the one hand, he was angry at Sun Shenyuan's lack of firmness, and on the other hand, he was reminded of old things.