chapter 164

After winning the battle, Chu Hechao ordered the slaughter of over a thousand sheep to reward the army.

The campfire was blazing, and the aroma of the roasted meat filled the air. The camp was lively, as if it were a festival, with soldiers eating heartily.

Chu Hechao sat at the head, holding a wine jar, gazing at the sky above the grassland.

Countless stars seemed as if they could fall down, just within reach. Chu Hechao thought that he would bring Yuan Li to see the grassland scenery sooner or later.

The soldiers who were responsible for delivering livestock from the rear also arrived and handed over their packages to Chu Hechao with both hands, "General, this is what you ordered your subordinate to request from Duke Wen."

Chu Hechao raised an eyebrow, somewhat surprised and flattered.

He had originally just teased Yuan Li, never expecting him to actually send him anything personal. Unexpectedly, there was a pleasant surprise.

Chu Hechao put down the wine jar and took the package, gently feeling the texture of the package.

The flickering campfire illuminated him, melting away the fierce and resolute aura he had displayed on the battlefield a few days ago, replacing it with a more approachable warmth. Even the smile on his lips carried a sense of contentment.

Seeing his appearance, those around him became even more curious. They glanced at the package as if trying to figure out what Yuan Li had sent.

However, Chu Hechao ordered them not to pry, and only then did he open the package.

To his surprise, the package contained his old worn-out clothes.

Chu Hechao: "..."

Unwillingly, he took out his clothes and threw them aside. The package was empty, and there wasn't even a note.

The people on both sides, having received permission, turned back to look, and Yuan Congyun peered over, sighing disappointedly, "General, it's just your clothes. Why did you tell us not to look?"

He thought it was another set of armor!

Chu Hechao was amused and coldly smiled as he stuffed his clothes back into the package. "Yes, I didn't expect it to be my own clothes."

Yuan Congyun felt as if he could hear a trace of gnashing teeth in Chu Hechao's tone, but when he looked at Chu Hechao's smiling face, he thought he must have misheard. "The grassland is cold at night, and the dew is heavy. Duke Wen must be concerned about you catching a cold, that's why he sent you these clothes as a gesture of care."

Chu Hechao didn't tell him that the clothes were torn and couldn't keep him warm at all. He just smiled and said, "You're right. With Duke Wen's concern for me, I should find a way to return the favor. Let's rest here for a few days and then set off as soon as possible."

Everyone agreed in response.

After the rest, Chu Hechao led his army to join forces with Lu He's army.

Zuoxian Wang's tribe were larger than those of the Youxian Wang's tribe. Lu He couldn't stop all of the people, and about twenty thousand remaining Xiongnu soldiers escaped to the northern desert.

Lu He felt guilty, "I had too few troops with me. I wanted to completely eliminate... sigh, but I let some of the remaining soldiers go."

"No problem," Chu Hechao had expected this and said, "The remaining remnants of the Xiongnu cannot pose a threat. After this battle, there will be no more royal court in the south of the desert. The main forces of the Zuo and Youxian Wangs have almost been annihilated by us. The Xiongnu have fled far away, and they are no longer capable of coming south to threaten our borders. The Xiongnu, who troubled our border for hundreds of years, can no longer pose a threat to us."