The Bike Incident

Michael's Point Of View:

I clock in five minutes late. Dammit! I put on my work gloves and begin to work. I change engines and lift heavy wheels. I fix doors and radios. The job sucks, but it pays decent. Decent enough to get my Lilly her pink bike.

The whistle blows, letting everyone know it's our lunch break. I take a dollar out of my pocket and go to the vending machine. I press F5. A granola bar. I didn't pack lunch or have enough money to get a meal. I need food at the apartment, so I can't pack lunch. I can survive on this. I have been for five years now.

I sit down and open the wrapper. I chew slowly. When I'm finished, I throw away the wrapper and get back to work. I go through the rest of the day with ease. I'm putting my gloves back in my work locker when I hear my name being called,

"Michael! Where's Michael?"

It's my boss, Tom. I hear someone give him my location. I'm in the back locker room. I hear his heavy footsteps coming my way. I roll my eyes. Who knows what he could want.

"Michael I need to talk to ya!"

I turn around and say,

"I'm all ears."

"Well, I don't know any other way to put this, but...you're fired."

My eyes widen. "What? Why? Was it because I was late this morning? It was only five minutes! "

"Well, that's a small piece, but the main reason is that we have to lay some people off for financial reasons. "

"Tom, you can't do this! I need this job! I can't loose this job!"

He shrugs his shoulders. "I'm sorry, Mike. I have no choice."

"I need this job, Tom! How am I suppose to pay rent this month?!"

"Not my problem. "

He turns and walks away. This can't be happening! I need this job! I have to provide for Lilly! How the hell am I suppose to do that if I'm unemployed? I punch my locker four times, leaving a dent.

I yell, "Fuck!"

I throw my gloves on the ground and kick the locker below mine. I storm out of that place. I squat while holding the sides of my head. I clench my jaw. I stand up and check my watch.

"Dammit!"

Lilly's bus will be pulling up in 2 minutes! I take off running toward the bus stop. When I arrive, I see Lilly looking for me. I run up to her.

"Hey, baby. How was school? "

"It was okay as normal. "

I smile. She's been getting picked on because of the color of my skin. She's a strong girl. The teachers won't do anything and I can't switch schools right now. Plus, I can't homeschool her. I have to work....well I had to work.

"Let's go get that bike."

She smiles big. "Okay!"

I take off her bookbag and sling it around my shoulder. I hold her hand and we walk toward the store. The store near where I live sells almost everything. I have a feeling most of it is stolen.

The store clerk is Indian and has a very strong accent. We walk the few blocks to the store. Lilly gets excited when she sees the bike. She runs into the store. I'm right behind her. She hops on the bike.

"Daddy I love it!"

I smile. I go check the price and my eyes widen. It's been risen!

"Yo, man!"