What Can We Do

Hey, for some reason, you clicked to read this story. Well, I hope you like it.

Cursing, death, drugs, violence, and the likes will be present here. If you can't handle it, don't leave a rude comment, just stop reading. This is a story that revolves around gangs, people.

Anyhow.

Please enjoy this.

VOTE!

COMMENT!

FOLLOW!

***

"Final notice. Final notice. Final notice. Not only will we be kicked out but the lights, water, and gas get turned off. Also, they want to repo both the van and Leons car." Kayla rubs her forehead, stress clear in her hazel eyes.

Jet came bounding in, "She had twenty-three dollars in her purse." He tosses the money on the old wooden table.

I finger the diamond butterfly around my neck. I unclasp the silver chain and put it near the money, "How much could I get for this?"

Kayla gaps at me like I shot her, "Leon gave that as a present."

"How much?" I repeat, ignoring the lump in my throat.

"Still not enough to pay for everything." Jet answers.

"I'll add mine." Kayla goes to remove the pearls hanging from her ears.

I shake my head, "I won't pawn that."

"Then here." She gives me my necklace back. I place it around my neck, where it belongs.

I hear the squeaking steps as someone walks down them. My six year old brother, Patrick joins the party.

Yawning, he waddles to me, "Sissy, I'm hungry."

I pick him up and kiss his forehead, "Me too."

"What can we do?" Kayla slams her hands to her face. I notice the slight heave in her shoulders. My twin is crying.

"Awe, hell." I say. "Take him to bed." I give Patrick to Jet. Once they're upstairs and out of sight I go to Kayla, "We'll get through this."

"I miss him, Cameron. I miss him so much." She sobs.

A few tears escape, "You're not alone there."

"I'm going to do it." She sniffles.

"Do what?" I furrow my brows.

"Work with mom." Kayla has been harassed by Diane's creepy employer the moment she got boobs. Whenever we accidentally make small talk with him, he extends a work invitation to Kayla, despite her youth. Leon would keep the psycho in line, but now he's gone.

I shake my head, "Fuck no."

Kayla stares at me with blank eyes, "Jet, Penny, Patrick, Derek, and Jamie have to eat."

"They will."

"Food costs money. Which we no longer have." Kayla sighs, her stomach grumbles.

I bite my thumb nail, "I'll be back."

I march to Diane's room and open the door. There she lays on a dirty mattress, drugged out of her mind. Her hair hangs in unwashed clumps, her skin pale. Drool pours and falls heavily on her bed. I blink at Diane in disgust. How this woman is the mother to all of us, I will never understand. I twist her closet doorknob and dig through her slut clothes.

Diane is a stripper, or like she calls it, an exotic dancer. She has plenty of outfits. She used to make good cash, then stretch marks, wrinkles, and basically age caught her. She was a descent mother also, until she got hooked on dope. It went down hill from there. At least that's what Leon would say. I have to take his word for it.