Chapter 5

Abby spun around, fists up, ready to defend herself from whoever or whatever was behind her

Abby spun around, fists up, ready to defend herself from whoever or whatever was behind her. Instead of an intruder, all she saw was the pale pink wallpaper that encased the room. Outside, the rain continued its steady downpour. She could hear the rain beating against the roof. Abby's dark eyes flitted back to her lone shadow against the soft glow of the lamp. She massaged her temples, trying her best to rationalize what she thought she had seen.

It's late. I'm tired. This cabin is creepy. It was probably a piece of furniture. I'm imagining things.

Remembering what brought her to the pink room in the first place, Abby inched towards the closet.

"Are you in there?" she asked aloud. There was still no response but she didn't expect one. She quickly pulled the door open and saw...nothing. It was empty.

Abby stood still, trying to hear any other unusual sounds that would indicate whether she was alone or not. After a while, she gave up, thinking that perhaps the laughter was also something she imagined. She decided to sleep in the master bedroom. Still feeling a little uncomfortable, she left the light in the hallway on. The thrum of the rain hitting the roof lulled her to sleep.

The next morning, Abby was woken by the sound of someone screaming her name. She stumbled out of bed and crawled to the window.

"Hi, Abby!" Wally was outside, waving his arms in the air. Standing next to him were three women and a man she didn't recognize.

"I'll be right there," Abby called out before rushing to put on some appropriate attire.

A few minutes later she was introduced to Chuck, the man who would install her telephone line. The three women were volunteers that offered to help clean the cabin.

"I'm Maria, that's Joanie and she's Yvonne," a stout middle-aged woman said. "We're here to help you get this cabin in tip-top shape."

"I'm Abby. It's nice to meet all of you. I'm so glad you're here. I honestly wasn't sure if I'd be able to get this cabin in order before Mr. Carter arrived."

"When Wally told us you only had two days to get this cabin in livable condition, we just had to help," Maria said as she wrapped an arm around an uncomfortable Abby. "Speaking of Mr. Carter, we were all surprised that he wanted to buy this cabin in the first place."

The other two women nodded which prompted Abby to ask, "Why is that?"

Maria looked around her before leaning in and whispering, "You didn't hear it from us, but someone was murdered here."

Abby felt a slight chill course through her body. "Murdered?"

"That's right. Murdered. It happened over twenty years ago but some of us still remember it," Joanie whispered.

"This is such a small town," Abby said. "I wonder if Mr. Carter knows."

"My mama said it was a big secret back then. I was only ten at the time. They tried to keep it hushed up."