Chapter 36: The Final Chapter

"She's alone with her mother

"She's alone with her mother. I see her hiding but she's scared," Geneva said, her eyes closed. "She's afraid."

"So am I. I don't like this," Abby whispered, stepping closer to Alex.

He took hold of her hand. "Don't worry, Abby. I'm here."

"Alex, remember that letter we found?" Abby asked.

"The one from Maggie to Lionel?"

Abby nodded. "That must be what set him off."

"He never saw that letter," Geneva said loudly. "I see a woman trying to return a gift but he doesn't want it. He knows it means the end. He thinks it's his decision to make...not hers. She was cheating on him. He knows it now and he wants revenge. He's attacked you too. He'll attack any woman living in this cabin."

Abby closed her eyes as images of her last fight with Bryce began unfurling themselves in her mind. Her therapist had once warned her that it was possible for her memories to return. She had tried breaking up with him but it had only upset him. Bryce had accused her of cheating on him before he raised his fist and hit her.

"Is it just me or is it getting colder in here?" Abby asked, shivering.

Alex tightened an arm around her. "Are you okay?"

Abby wasn't sure how to tell Alex she was remembering the night she killed Bryce in self-defense.

"They're both trying to talk to me." Geneva was squeezing her eyes shut. "The girl is warning me. He's coming."

"Who's coming?" Alex asked.

"I don't know. She didn't say. It felt like someone bad. Someone very bad. Someone evil."

A loud banging on the door caused them all to stop talking. Geneva gasped, clearly still communicating with the ghosts.

Three loud bangs against the door urged Alex to move forward. He opened the door to see a scowling Sheriff Don.

"I hope you realize I'm about to arrest all of you for interfering with a crime scene." Sheriff Don pushed himself forward. "I don't know what you all think you're doing but it's got to stop! Now."

"This is my cabin, Sheriff," Alex said, straightening his spine. "If I were you, I'd be careful. I am a Carter after all. I might just see to it that you lose your position as sheriff."

"Why you little--" Sheriff Don shoved Alex against a wall his fists holding tightly to Alex's dress shirt. "You think you can threaten me?"

"Stop! Stop it, Don!" Zachary shouted from the doorway as Chuck helped navigate his wheelchair.

"Shut up, Zachary! The Carters have had their way for far too long. Do you think money is everything? It's not!"

"Please stop!" Abby tried to pull the sheriff away from Alex. "We just want to know the truth. We want to know what happened to Crystal."