Chapter 18

***Katniss POV***

            Prim doesn’t leave Rory’s side. She stays with him for the entire month it takes for him to recover. I haven’t been feeling well and my mother went back to the hospital in 7 for an extended stay, so I’m able to pry her away from him and check me. I think I’ve been getting the flu. I don’t like getting sick because I feel useless. Like I can’t do anything while everyone does everything. I can’t even take care of myself.
“Katniss, how long have you been feeling sick?” Prim asks me.
“About a 3 weeks now. It’s so random too. And I have been getting a lot of weird cravings.” I tell her.
“Katniss have you-” She starts to say, but I get up. I run for our restroom and throw up. It’s very violent and the site makes me want to puke even more, which I do anyway. I hear the door open and close. Then someone is holding my hair back. When I finish puking, I look up to find Prim. I can’t really tell what her expression means. I see happiness and shock and worry.
“I’ll be right back.” She says. I don’t want her to leave, but she comes back only minutes later with a small box. I recognize the box, but I can’t tell what it is exactly. She hands it to me.
“You need to pee on this right now Katniss. If you don’t have to pee, then you will be drinking a lot of water until you do. Okay?” She knows what’s best so I listen. She leaves me and I can finally read the lettering on the box. It says: Pregnancy Testing. What? She thinks I’m pregnant. I can feel the blood escape my face until I’m sure I look like a ghost. I can only sit there until the pounding of the door snaps me back to reality.
“Katniss, don’t make me come back in there! You know I will!” Prim says. I do know she will. I sit on the toilet and do as I was told. When I finish, Prim comes back in. I look at her with tears in my eyes and she hugs me. I have to wait 5 minutes to see if my worse fear has come true.
“Prim, go get Peeta at the bakery. I don’t want to know the results without him. But only tell him I need him, nothing else okay?” I say and she nods. After she leaves, I think about what Peeta said the night they got back from the Victory Tour. ‘What are the chances of our kids getting picked for the Hunger Games?’ He had said. What were the chances really? If I was pregnant, this baby’s name would only be in there the minimum number of times because we would have enough money and they wouldn’t have to add their names for food. I always liked kids, I just knew the danger they would always be in until they reached the age of 19. I never wanted that to be my kid, but with all those other names in there, maybe we wouldn’t have to worry. And Peeta said he wouldn’t let anything happen to our kids. We could always train them. Prim and Peeta had never been trained and they still won. I just can’t think. Then the door opens.
“Katniss, what wrong? What happened?” Peeta asks me right away. He puts his arms around me and I don’t hesitate to do the same.
“Peeta, I may be…” I hesitate.
“You may be what Katniss?” He asks calmly, but still worried. I turn around and throw up in the trash can. When I finish I spit out, “Pregnant!” Peeta looks like he is in shock. Then he turns around.
“Prim, leave. Go upstairs. We will get you in a minute.” She never questions Peeta and I don’t think she ever will. She nods and walks out closing the door.
“Katniss, did you take the test yet?” He asks. I nod.
“I didn’t want to look at it until you got here.” I say, starting to sob.
“Was it that night we got back from the tour?” He asks. I nod. “Oh no. Katniss, no. I’m so sorry. I’m so stupid! I’m so sorry Katniss.” He says.
“Peeta sh. It’s okay. I think, I want a baby.” I say.
“Really? I thought you never wanted to bring a kid into this world.” He says.
“But it’s like you said, what are the chances of them getting picked?” I say. He smiles a little and reaches for the test, careful not to look at it.
“Katniss, are you ready?” He asks me. I nod. He turns it over and looks. I can tell by the way his face lights up that it’s positive. I’m pregnant.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kelly!!! Now you know!!! So stop saying "50 Shades of Hunger Games!"