Chapter Six

If he had lived closer, I would have ran to his house. The ten minutes it took to get there by car felt like agony. Different scenarios ran through my mind over and over again. Neither Alison nor I said anything. She knew exactly what was happening and her silence alone left me with nothing more than my imaginings.

The house seemed much more ominous now. It didn't seem as welcome as before. It held secrets that I was only now beginning to see even though this house seemed to hold more than anyone will know. My heart skips frantically as I realize just how far this could have gone.

"Call me when you need a ride, Reese. I have some business that needs to be taken care of." Alison's voice followed me out of the car, and I turned to look at her again. "And I think you two need some time alone to talk."

I didn't know what to say, but I wanted to say something. Instead of wasting time trying to figure it out, I just resolve to give a slight nod. I swallow down my nerves and make my way inside, not bothering to close the door behind me. I just wanted to find Killian. That was all. I had to make sure he was alright.

"Killian! Killian, where are you?" I call out quickly. I knew there was a chance that he was still passed out on the floor but there was also the chance that he had woken up while Alison and I were on our way. I was hoping for the latter.

A man of older age stood at the end of the hallway that I knew broke off from the kitchen and the living room. He wore a butler's suit- something I haven't seen before except in movies- and had graying hair. As I got closer he spoke to me:

"I presume this is yours miss," he says holding my phone out to me. "He is in the living room. I shall be taking my leave, then. Please, if you need help finding anything, just call me. My number has already been placed in your phone for future use."

I nodded as I took my phone from his outstretched hand and made a quick retreat, fighting to hold back tears. I waited until the butler was gone before setting my phone on the chair closest to me and sprinted over to Killian. The tears were no longer held back. It didn't matter anymore. My hands hovered over him, barely touching him like he shouldn't be touched, and listened to his soft breathing. He was still alive. He was still alive. That small reassurance didn't keep the desperation from my voice.

"Killian! Killian please wake up. Wake up! Killian! Please don't do this, don't leave like this. Not now! Please not now..."

I trailed off, sobs shaking my body as I sank to the ground in tears. Nothing made a sound in the house, my sobs being my only company along with Killian's soft breathing. That was the only bright side in this situation. The one and only thing.

I fought to keep myself awake as I waited for Killian to wake up again

I fought to keep myself awake as I waited for Killian to wake up again. I needed to know he was alright. I pick up my phone and glance at the time. Only two a.m.. I have been here for nine hours now and he has not stirred once yet.

Sighing, I close my sore eyes. Everything changed today. I no longer know who is in control of my life. Me, or someone else? Those thoughts didn't last long before I slip into the hands of sleep. Fitful dreams followed after but I no longer know what is real and what isn't- just that Killian is in front of me having overdosed on some kind of medication.