Chapter Twenty-Six

Sleep eluded him but his thoughts remained relentless. Dorian struggled from his bed, pressing a hand to his thigh where the cutlass had severed his flesh. The wounds inflicted along his body were steadily healing, but the wound in his heart was another matter entirely.

            His hands curled into fists as he braced his weight against the wall, clenching his eyes shut as he imagined her alabaster skin, hair like moonlight, and eyes the color of golden brown.

            The length of his frame erupted in flames, his desire demanding he claim his woman. Mindless of his actions, he left the confines of his room and stalked the dark corridor leading to her room.

            The room was dim but warm, a gentle fire burning low in the hearth as he closed her bedroom door. His ice-eyes immediately sought her sleeping form, small and curled in the large four-poster bed.

            He moved toward her, his undeniable hunger intensifying with each step that brought him closer to her side.

            In her restlessness, she had kicked the covers away, her nightgown rising high on her thighs. He felt a moan rise deep from within his throat as his hands resisted the temptation of running the length of her silky skin with the tips of his fingers.

            His eyes moved higher and fell firm on the evident roundness of her belly. A minatory rage gripped him fiercely, and he jerked away, tearing his eyes from this lovely creature that he’d given his heart too.

            How could she have given herself so carelessly to Cummings? Had he been so enraptured with her, so oblivious to their discreet love that he had not noticed any wayward glances, lingering touches? But the flattery, he thought bitterly, the flattery had been there, clear as the morning light.

            Infuriated, he spun back around, cringing as the abrupt movement caused him pain. He settled beside her, the mattress sinking beneath his weight as his eyes roamed the extent of her small frame.

            Her chemise was thin and flimsy, like a whisper of silk concealing the object of his insatiable hunger. Her breasts swelled, rising with each sleeping breath and he had the fierce urge to rip the material apart and lavish her lovely flesh with his mouth.

            Heedless with desire, he reached out and lightly caressed a creamy shoulder, trailing his fingers smoothly down her arm. Her shudder passed through him and he gasped, his manhood jerking with anticipation, thrusting against the seams of his breeches.

            His hand dipped lower, brushing lightly over the soft mounds of her breasts and her mouth parted in her slumber. She stirred but did not wake, her body shifting towards his touch, and her legs slightly parted.

            A rush of heat spiraled low in his belly as he reached down and gently caressed the inside of her thighs. It would be so easy, he thought, his hand straying provocatively close to her moist center.