Chapter Thirty-Two

*Readers-just a note; this chapter is not the last chapter of "A Love Worthy", it may give that impression, but I ensure, there are more to come.:) Enjoy!

          Sterling narrowed his eyes on the intruder, the hand gripping the pistol steady and evened firmly at his chest. “I could have you killed for this.” He growled, his eyes wavering nervously to the finger hovering just lightly above the trigger.

            Dorian grinned smugly. “Not if I end you now.”

            Sterling’s throat convulsed fearfully above the iron, “Ashford I presume?” he said a bit shakily, “Where is my man?”

            Dorian smirked coldly, “Blackburn enlightened me by testing the pistol first. Let’s avoid the details. Now I’m sure you’re aware of why I’m here?”

            Sterling’s nostrils flared as his face reddened angrily. “The girl is mine by birthright.”

            The hand around the pistol tightened a fraction and Sterling tensed. “Do not waste my time, Sterling. You have my woman and child. I suggest you bring her to me now or I’ll simply end you now and see to finding her myself.”

            Sterling remained firm, “As I’ve said, the girl is mine. You do not have the right to barge into my home making demands.”

            “Are you not familiar with a Marquis of Northampton?”

            Sterling stiffened his eyes hardening beneath Dorian’s icy stare. “I believe we need not further continue on this nonsense. My patience grows thin; you will produce the girl to me now.”

            Sterling snorted, “You forget that I am a man of wealth and power. I’ll see that you hang for this, and if I am dead, there are others that will see it done.”

            “There are other higher authorities, Baron. You are oblivious to the moment that I give you a chance to walk away with your life intact. Mayhap I should take this matter of false imprisonment to the King? You have detained a Lady without lawful authority and considering that you and I are both well acquainted with the Marquis of Northampton, who I might add is an admired colleague of the King himself, it seems the odds are against you. So what have you, Sterling?”

            Sterling inhaled deeply, his eyes like granite. “And if I do not comply?”

            “I will follow through on my threats and see that the King strips you of your title and lands. I think it wise you consider your options.”

            Sterling cleared his throat, “If I give the girl to you, you will let the matter fall?”

            Dorian nodded, “With your word that neither you nor any man you hire will seek to take what is mine again?”

            Sterling stiffened as another man appeared in the parlor, this one much smaller in size but his russet eyes revealing a calculating look as they assessed Sterling solemnly. “All well, Captain?”