Chapter 2: The Vacant City

I shot forward, feeling the power of the border overcome me as I ran through it. Humans could not be harmed by the border, it only harms monsters by burning them brutally.

I have only seen it happen once before, I was nearing my eleventh birthday when the incident occurred.

I remember sneaking out from the Base and into the forest with Rose simply because we were bored out of our minds. The Base is very dull when it's not a Venture Day or any kind of celebration is being held.

We were giggling like mad running through the trees and playing our imaginative games. I recall playing an old game that the early humans used to play called hide and seek. That was when I first heard the screams coming from the direction of the border.

Completely forgetting about our game, I left my hiding place and slowly edged my way to the sound. I heard a branch snap behind me and I jumped before realising it was Rose, she looked as scared as I was. We were nearing the border when we saw it happen.

Some of the adults that I had seen around the Base, surrounded a monster, stripped him of his weapon and armour and had pinned him against the border. A soft sizzling sound emitted from where the monsters back refused to go past the now shimmering border.

A wave of sympathy crashed over me. No one deserved this, not even a monster. My face and Rose's held the same horrified expression.

The monster grasped desperately at the hand around his neck. The smell burning flesh wafted around the clearing and only growing stronger when bone was added into the mix.

I tried to help but Rose pulled me back. "That's Leader Garrett's brother, and see the little boy standing behind the adults? That's the son of the leader, Zaque." I hadn't even noticed Zaque before she mentioned him.

"So? I have to save him, this isn't right."

"So they have the power to stop you from becoming the Venturer you've always wanted to be. If you interfere, those adults over there will turn against you and report it to Garrett."

Back then I didn't know what the word interfere even meant but somehow I knew she was right.

The monster's screams died down and the leader's brother dropped the limp body, which fell to the floor with a thump.

"See boy, that is how we treat monsters." And with that, the adults and Zaque left. Only Rose, a corpse and I remained.

"Is that really how we should treat monsters?"

That question lingered in my mind as the Venturers started to disperse from the original formation. It was easier to go unnoticed this way.

The run was long and tiring, only stopping every thirty minutes for nourishment, I made it to the nearest city ruins in record time. Over the years of training I had to become a Venturer, I learned to stay in the shadows. Making sure my footsteps were light and soundless, I kept to the side of the streets, trying to find a suitable building to break into.

An hour passed before I found an untouched apartment block. Luckily the door was unlocked which made it easier as I didn't have to make so much noise kicking it open.

The smell of mould hit my nose the second I stepped into the building. It was revolting but it wasn't the worst smell in the world so I continued on down the hall, past all the doors leading into different apartments before I finally chose one at random. Thankfully this door was unlocked too.