Chapter 2

"Wake up, princess", said the maid as she called to Maia. She slowly opened the window and let the sunlight creep into the room.
"Ahh! Morning Brienna!" Maia said rubbing her eyes. The morning rays illuminated her face and danced on her beautiful and long blonde hairs. She looked gorgeous indeed. Her eyes looked lazy and the heavy lashes shifted up and slowly her green eyes regained its cold beauty.
"Get up, child. You must clean up fast, everyone's waiting for you downstairs. Guess what? "
"And what's that Brienna", Maia said pouring water on her face with a rather boring disinterest on her face.
"Today you father , the king will return after 18 months. . "
Maia was shocked. Her eyes wore a happy and painful look. She loved her papa immensely and was happy to have him back. She was lost in thoughts and was trying to recollect the last time she saw him, when
"Just wait little one, untill I dress you up. The Queen wants you to be properly dressed today or she will have my head cut"
"Brienna, but I am no litthe one, I am going to turn 16 this month."
"Sorry my child, but you will always be my little one. And that will continue even if you are married and you have children and you become an old, fussing, busy granny with grey nerves!"
Brienna had looked after Maia since she was a child. She was her father's right hand, Joseph's wife. They had no son and Mr . Joseph was too bad to remarry. So both of them turned to Maia. She was their daughter and and when the matters about Maia came ,even they had the right to give suggestions. Yes, this was Maia's uniqueness. She will pierce into your heart and will always leave an indelible mark in it. You will then be bound to think of her charming smiles, quick words and bold opinions. This always had a positive impact on all those around her. With her around, all were fearless, happy and healthy. She was the Goddess of Nimartha who worked wonders in the hearts of all those who met her, small, big, rough or sweet. She stirred them with her gracious gestures and will have them moved. There were many for Maia- Pet dogs, little lovers, caring mothers, fussing fathers and protecting knights.
Brienna helped Maia into a pink gown with beautiful small white flowers on it and the embroidery was done with red silk. She combed her hairs and carefully braided in into neat plates. Her eyelashes were darkened and as she came out after the room after Brienas makeup session, Maia glowed like a deep red rose. It was not the makeups, but it was Maia itself who was the attraction. But Alas, my careless colt will never be aware of her beauty - a beauty that may invite glares, lustful hearts, possessive minds, and a bunch of dangers.
But for now, let her live. It is a saying,
The past is history, the future is mystery and today, today is a gift. And that's why it is called the PRESENT.

"Thanks Brienna, I love this look"
Said a pleased Alice after surveying herself in front of the mirror.
"Welcome sweetheart! "

***********
As Maia slowly walked to the hall , her heart beat anxiously. Yes, she was going to see her papa after 18 long months. It had never happened before that the King had been out for such a long time. But battles had to be fought, enemies to be destroyed, compromises to be sought and calls to be made.
"Papa, she cried and ran towards her father ,Gaston.
He welcomed her with open arms and kissed her tenderly on her cheeks. The rest of the palace witnessed love roll down from the hearts of their King and their Princess. Linda and Jason stood staring at them in awe. It proved how precious a daughter is to a father, it proved how proud a father is to have a daughter, it proved how much voids are made if a daughter is away.
"Its so good to see you again, my daughter. You have grown up . And I must say that you look beautiful today .I think you dont need all these makeovers. Just be the Maia I know, and you will be able to charm everyone around you."

Tears welled down from their eyes. Maia surveyed her father. He hadn't changed much except for the lines and wrinkles on his face. It was of worry rather than of age. Yes, he was greying but he was quite fit and fine. He had a masculine self with manly movements which indicated that he was very handsome at youth.