Chapter 18: They found her

Avery

It's been a couple days since I found Ashe and she is doing a lot better.

Her cuts and bruises are going away and she has put on more weight so she isn't so skinny. But she's still smaller than I am. She's probably an inch shorter.

I've even taken her out for a walk the other day. We almost got caught by the patrol, but made it too the house before they could follow us.

I told Jake this morning that I was going for a run and he told me to be careful like always. I hate lying to him though. I feel like I'm betraying him.

I made it to Allan's and Mary's house and opened the door.

"Avery!" Ashe yelled.

"Ah!" I yelped as she wrapped her arms around me.

I laughed and hugged her back. Oh ya, she's getting more of her strength back too.

"I missed you." She said putting her face in my neck.

"I just saw you last night." I giggled.

She pulled back and looked at me with those big brown eyes. She moved a piece of her dark chocolate brown hair behind her ear.

"I know. But I always feel that someone will find me." Fear laced her voice.

"Don't worry. You have me, Mary, and Allan. No one will touch you. If they do....well let's just say they will have an angry Luna to deal with."

"Thank you Avery." Her voice was small.

"Come on. Let's go for a walk."

"Sweet. I'll go get a coat and boots."

We made sure the coast was clear before we ran laughing into the woods.

"Hey. I wanna show you something." I said facing her.

"Okay." She smiled.

It took about 15 minutes from where we were at to get to Lilly's and mine spot.

"Close your eyes."

She smiled before placing a hand over her eyes and putting her other hand on my shoulder.

I led her to the middle and stopped walking.

"Open." I told her.

She took her hand away and put a huge grin on her face.

She twisted all the way around and ran over to the river.

"This is amazing!" She yelled.

"Ya. Lilly found it when we were walking. And ever since then, it's been our own little getaway I guess you could call it."

"Lilly?" She asked confused.

"My little sister." I explained walking over to her. "She's 6."

"I would love to meet her one day." She gave me a small smile.

"Of course. She's really sweet."

"Oh. If it isn't the little shifter." I heard a deep voice behind me.

How did they know?

I growled and turned around.

In front of us, stood three huge men.

"Shifter?" Ashe asked beside me.

"I'll explain later." I growled and pulled her behind me.

"Ashe?" The guy in the middle said.