chapter 4: Maudlin

~ A/N: Before I begin this chapter, I would just like to thank you all for almost 100 reads! It means so much <3
___________

~ A/N: Before I begin this chapter, I would just like to thank you all for almost 100 reads! It means so much <3___________

Maudlin

(adj) foolishly sentimental
• • •

As I ran through the darkness, anxiety rummaged through my soul like a trash can. I hate what I can do. It ruins everything. It destroys everything. Negative thoughts rampaged my brain and caused me to collapse on the ground like a heap of rocks. I laid there crying. Fear of my own self caused me to panic. I should have handled that situation better, and I know that I could have, but it was a heat-of-the-moment event. I couldn't stop myself. It was like another person took over my body and turned me into a monster.

"Adeira!" a girl called out. I gripped the grass beside me and squeezed my eyes shut. Whoever it is probably just wants to scold me for scaring the little kids, or tell me to go clean up the mess I created. My breathing was shaky and uneven as I laid there. Rain slowly began to fall. It was light and gentle, almost as if the weather itself was effected by my outburst.

"Adeira, where are you?" the same voice called.

"What's that glow over there?" a voice I recognized as Enoch, called out.

"It's Adeira, come on!"

Until then, I thought I was unnoticeable. But opening my eyes, it was quite clear that I was radiating a circle of electricity. Emma ran to my side and turned me over onto my back. Enoch followed closely behind her with a lamp in his hand.

"Adeira," Emma whispered. She reached out to touch me, but I flinched back, putting my hands out in front of me.

"Don't come any closer," I raised my voice. "I don't want to hurt you."

My voice cracked at my last few words. I needed them to leave me alone.

"Come back inside," Enoch responded curtly.

I slowly stood up on my feet and glared at him, my muscles aching with every move I took.

"And why would you care if I stay out here or not? All you've been is mean to me since I've arrived." I felt dizzy.

"Adeira-"

"No, Enoch. I'm not coming with you two. Go inside. You too, Emma." I felt extremely light headed, and I saw Enoch begin to walk towards me, as if he knew what was about to happen.

"Adeira," Emma pleaded with worry, looking at my stomach.

I started seeing spots, and my abdomen blazed with pain. I placed my hand on my stomach. Fresh blood seeped through the cotton fabric of my yellow dress, dripping into the shape of a round, upside down triangle. I lost my balance and started my fall to the ground. But I never hit.