chapter 9: Verklempt

~ A/N: Thank you all so much for 1k reads and 50+ votes!! That is absolutely crazy and I couldn't thank you enough. ~
__________

 ~__________

Verklempt

(adj) completely overcome with emotion
• • •

"Vic, does this look right?" I asked, peering in between a bookshelf towards the strong boy. I held a sturdy, leather bound book in my hands, displaying it through the open gaps of the bookshelf for him to see.

"It seems alright. We can ask Millard though," Victor said, walking around the bookshelf to my side.

The book was heavy in my hands. It was thick and contained thin paper, like a bible. Thousands of pages littered inside of the giant book with countless amounts of information on uncommon peculiarities.

Well, at least that's what I hoped was on the inside of it. We hadn't talked to Mill yet.

When Victor and I made our way out of the labyrinth of bookcases, we found our way toward the front of the library where Millard sat with a book in his hand. As we got closer, I took in the enormous library. The large open area as you walk in is filled with seating areas with sofas and chairs. Wooden tables of various sizes swept through the room, piled with books and paperwork. On the walls were bookcases, squeezed together to fit as many books as possible. The large room then lead to an open stairway where any viewer is able to look up and see a balcony containing even more books and a smaller seating area. The bookshelves on the top floor were so tall that there are wheeling ladders that the library-goer can use to reach the tippy top shelf of the room. Huge windows ran the full length of the walls and brought in beautiful daylight. Being inside the library was like being in another world.

I peered down at Millard as he sighed.

"What's up, Mill," I joked.

"This book. I've reread it countless times and the ending still gets me."

"Aww," I said.

"Oh shush. Do you need anything?"

"Yes," I said, happy that he got to the point. I plopped into a chair next to him and Victor remained standing.

"Is this what we're looking for?"

Mill took the large book from my hands. It felt like bricks were taken off my shoulders.

Millard slowly flipped through the pages, muttering words I could not understand. I leaned in towards him a little, hoping for some positive input.

"Aha!" He shouted. I jumped back in surprise but the invisible boy didn't seem to notice.

"Here, right here. This page through 750 should give you some answers."

"Millard, that's 200 pages," I said, my brain getting tired just thinking about reading that many pages. It didn't seem like that much at first until I realized the size of the font, and that did it for me.