chapter 21: Aubade

A/N: I hope you're ready for a long chapter!
___________

A/N: I hope you're ready for a long chapter!___________

Aubade

(n) a love song sung at dawn
• • •

I smiled helplessly as I flattened the front of my loose dress, a cover up for my bathing suit. As I stood there thinking about the afternoon to come, my mind soon drifted to worry. My head pounded with remembrance of my past loop; The last time I was in the ocean was during the desolation of my home. Could that only have happened a few months ago? My eyes clouded with horrendous visions of the dismantled children and miles of water that previously overtook my body. Tears welled in my eyes and I shook off the terrible feeling that was brewing in my stomach.

Today was about me and Enoch.

I need to forget the bad things that torture my soul and split my mind with dread.

So I thought about Enoch.

I jumped with surprise as a heavy knock thumped on my closed door.

"Come in!" I responded to the unknown visitor.

The door opened slowly and revealed Enoch. He smiled at me nervously and I smiled in return.

"Are you ready?" he asked me.

I nodded in reply and grabbed a pair of sunglasses.

As we left the house, many of the children giggled with excitement and Emma winked at me. I also noticed Miss Peregrine pulling Enoch to the side to tell him something. He seemed to shift uncomfortably and I smirked as Victor wiggled his eyebrows at me.

Before I knew it, Enoch and I were walking side by side towards the village.

~ ~ ~

"What in the hell are you doing?" Enoch asked me as I balanced a spoon on my chin.

"Isn't it obvious," I muttered through slightly parted lips.

"You're concentrating way too hard," Enoch stated, looking at my contorted face. "And you're embarrassing me."

I laughed loudly and the spoon came crashing down on the table in front of me. We sat in a small diner, eating a really early dinner before heading for the beach. As we finished eating, a British waiter came up to us.

"Is that all for today?" the waiter asked with his thick accent, winking at me.

Before I could respond, Enoch interjected.