XXVI ■ The End

From my spot on the edge of the bed, I watched as the amber flames licked at the logs in the oversized fireplace. No matter how many times I had found myself here, I could never get over how plush the silk sheets and pillows were. Something about them, about this entire place, felt familiar-- but for the life of me, I didn't know why.

My stomach twisted with anticipation, but I was unsure what I was waiting for. As his heavy footsteps neared the double, mahogany doors, my heart felt like it would burst out of my chest. With a chilly gust of air the doors blew open, and immediately goose pimples raised on my skin.

"Alexis."

His deep voice sent shivers down my spine as the moonlight revealed his large frame standing in the door. As I stood up, he rushed over to me. His strong arms encircling my waist as he crushed me to his chest.

"I can't live without you." He leaned down to whisper in my ear. "Alexis, only you can be my Queen. I need you."

As I looked up at him, I could feel my forehead crinkle in concern. "I don't understand," I answered. "I-- I--"

But before I could get out another protest, he had pressed his mouth firmly against my own.

"I'm in love with you, Alexis."

His confession felt natural, like I'd heard it before.

"Please," he begged. "You have to come back to me."

Without another word, he lifted me in to those massive arms. As we fell onto the bed, something about the ease with which he shredded my clothes told me he was much stronger than any man I'd ever met before. His lips grazed across the moon shaped birth mark on my neck, and my hips instinctively bucked into him.

"Mine." His eyes darkened with desire, as the word fell from his lips with possession.

"Your's."

Over come with lust, I suddenly began tearing at his clothes. Nothing else would satisfy me until I could gaze at the muscled perfection that I knew hid underneath. As he finally stood in front of me, my eyes greedily roamed over my prize. The shadows and dim light from the fire, flickered across the taunt skin pulled over his sculpted muscles. But what I truly wanted laid just south of his abs.

My eyes quickly travelled down to his hard and swollen prick. It was enormous, I gulped, and I hadn't even touched him yet. As my hand strecthed out to grasp the thick shaft, he shuddered before gathering me in to his arms yet again.

"Alexis," he grated, his large hand kneeding my breast.

As I tossed my head back, I surprised myself with the sound of my own breathy moan. I had just pressed my lips against one of his hard, bulging pecs--

***

"Alexis! C'mon, dear. You're not going to make it to the clinic before you're shift if you don't get up!"

With a groan, I swung my legs over the side of the bed-- if you could even call it that. The flattened, lumpy mattress was as thin as a penny and so uncomfortable, unlike the bed that haunted my dreams. Almost every morning I awoke-- hot, flustered, and completely unsatisfied.