28| Heartbreak and Her

Dedicated to:angel_tanisha

Thank you so much for being an amazing reader and a fantabulous friend! I love you :*

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

"She's the only love I've known and now she's gone away. She reached into my soul and all my darkness was killed. Will I ever love again?"

~QuotesGram

Logan's POV

My heartbeat rang rhythmically in my ears. The panic began like a cluster of spark plugs in my abdomen, shooting violently into my body.

It was like I couldn't hear anything for a while – my mind disconnected from the present.

Claire's eyes brimmed more until tears flowed unchecked down her cheeks, dripping from her chin. She stood there as still as a statue while I was left astray amid the torrid whirlwind of emotions.

Say something, Logan, say something.

I was at loss of words.

Furiously, she whirled around and within a second she disappeared into the darkness, betwixt the crowd of dancing teenagers.

"Claire! Wait!" I finally found my voice, but it drowned in the music "Fuck"

The soles of my shoes pounded against the floor as I ran after her. The people were omnipresent; I pushed them out of my way, craned my neck but I couldn't spot her anywhere.

I pushed further into the crowd, nervously whipping my head here and there, hastily scanning everything until I spotted a tinge of red and blonde near the exit – immediately, I knew it was her.

I bolted towards her, with all the strength I had left.

Before she could exit, I was standing behind her. I gripped her shoulders and turned her around to face me and what I saw shattered all the remaining shards of my heart.

Her face was reddened, her eyes swollen as she clutched her hair frustratingly between her fingers.

"Claire! It's not what it looks like!" I yelled over the music, running my hands through her hair to soothe her, endeavoring to bring her closer to me "I swear"

With an abrupt moment, she removed my hands from her blonde locks and rammed me off of her.

My heart squeezed again when one of her whimpers reached my ears.

"Then what was it?" she muttered, wiping painful tears off her cheeks.

"I wasn't the one–" I tried to elucidate, but she cut me off midsentence.

"Oh hold on, I get it now!" she snapped her fingers in realization, attempting to talk through her trembling voice, but it wasn't helping "Is this why you've been trying to stay away from me? Is it because...it was...Breanna all along?"

"No! You're wrong, let me explain!"

"I see what you're trying to do here Logan and guess what? It's not helping!"

What was I trying to do? What was she talking about?

I protested over her fury "Claire you need to calm down and listen to me–"

"No! You listen to me!" she yelled, misery and rage anointed on her tone "Logan, I was waiting for you. I waited for an entire week, maybe more. Every hour I asked myself – what was wrong with me? What did I lack? Why were you denying your love for me? Why you were trying to stay away from me!"