Chapter Three

"Is that what you're wearing to the ball?" Heath asked.

Kane looked down at his plain white tee and dark jeans. "What's wrong with this?" he asked.

Heath flopped onto Kane's bed. "You look very chill."

Kane shrugged. "Should I look less chill?"

Heath pulled his phone out and started scrolling. "You can look as chill as you want, but you want to make a good first impression, don't you?" he asked without looking up from his phone.

Kane lent back into the headboard. He didn't really believe that he would find his mate tonight. He had been to a few of these balls, and only a few matches were made every time. He doubted that he would find his so soon after turning seventeen. "The odds are that I won't even meet my mate tonight."

Heath shrugged. "There's a chance."

"I guess."

There were a few seconds of silence that hung between them. Kane could see the words forming on Heath's lips a few times but he didn't say them.

"What?" Kane asked, breaking the silence.

"You need to get over the person you've been sleeping with," Heath muttered.

"You know about that?" Kane asked. His focus was all on Heath. He didn't know how much his brother knew.

Heath put his phone down. "I borrowed your bag last week and there were condom wrappers at the bottom. You're sleeping with someone, and I know for sure that it's not your mate."

Kane sighed. Heath didn't know about Wyatt specifically. "I'm ending it soon."

"You know that I don't believe in the whole no dating until mating mentality, but I do think it's a problem when you don't even seem excited at the concept of meeting your mate," Heath explained. Heath paused for a long moment. "You do want to meet him, don't you?"

Kane shrugged. He did and he didn't. His mind was groggy on that account.

"What are you doing?" a small voice came from the doorway. Kane motioned for Grace to come into the room. She ran to him, flopping onto the bed between he and Heath.

"We are just talking about mates," Heath explained.

Kane wrapped his arm around Grace's shoulders. The small girl looked up at him with her big eyes and heart shaped face. She was so innocent, unknowing of the world outside of the walls. Kane wanted to keep her that way.

"Will you meet your mate tonight? Dad said you are going to the ball," she said.

Kane shrugged. "Maybe."

"I hope she's pretty. Like a princess," she said in a way only a five-year-old could.

Heath laughed. "I don't know if he's bringing home a princess," he said.

"Why not?"

Kane pushed her hair behind her ear. "Well, what if I bring home a prince?"

"That would be okay too," Grace said after some careful consideration. "I hope the prince is pretty, then."

"I hope so too." Kane kissed her forehead. She had the most beautiful soul he'd ever seen.

"Wyatt's here," Kane heard his mother call up the stairs.

"Grace, please watch Heath while I'm gone," he asked of her. "I don't want him getting into any trouble."

Grace giggled. "Okay."