Chapter Thirty-One

Kane woke up to the feeling of someone's arm wrapping around his middle. His eyes opened and he saw the top of Mason's head as he was snuggling his body into Kane's side. Kane was overcome by a feeling of contentment as Mason rested against him. This is what he was fighting for. Moments like this, a future like this.

He glanced over to the window, the sunlight streaming in. He sighed as he threaded his fingers into Mason's blonde hair, pushing it away from his face. He wanted to memorise his face, every shadow and line.

He had hoped to not wake him, but soon enough Mason's grey eyes were facing him. "Hey there, bad decision boy," he whispered.

Kane chuckled. "Good morning, philosophical boy."

"Did you sleep well?"

Kane nodded. "How could I not with you next to me?"

Mason blushed. He slowly sat up. Kane suddenly felt very cold without Mason on his chest.

"What time is it? We should probably get going soon."

Kane reached for his phone on the bedside table. "We have to check out in thirty minutes."

The door to the bathroom opened. Nora emerged with wet hair and fresh clothes. "You two are finally awake," she said. "Do you recon we can find some breakfast soon? I'm starving."

"I vote for pancakes," Mason proclaimed.

"Yes!" Nora agreed. "Pancakes sounds like a great idea."

"I'll google what's on the way," Kane told them. 

He was still in awe that the two of them were on speaking terms let alone agreeing on something. He couldn't help but look between them suspiciously. He had hoped that moments like this would happen, where they could almost pretend that they were in a normal situation, but he didn't really believe it would happen. Their lives were a bit of a mess, but everyone was getting along, and that was more than what he expected. 

"What?" Nora asked, noticing Kane's strange gaze.

"Nothing," he murmured.

An hour later Kane found himself in a diner, a plate of pancakes being handed to him. He poured syrup over them.

"No way, pancakes are way better than waffles," Mason declared.

Nora shook her head. She stopped cutting up her waffle to set him straight. "You're so wrong. Waffles taste so much better."

"Kane, what do you think?" Mason asked. He waved his finger between their plates. "Pancakes or waffles?"

Kane tapped his fingers against his chin sarcastically. "Such an important question. This requires a lot of consideration."

Nora huffed. "Just pick one. No fence sitting."

Kane sent Mason a sympathetic smile. "Sorry babe, waffles it is."

Nora smiled brightly. "Knew I was right," she murmured before turning her attention back to her breakfast.

"Well, babe, you're wrong," Mason said.

Kane didn't miss the red tinge to Mason's cheeks. Kane had never called him that before. He wondered if that was some kind of relationship step.

"Listen up babe," Kane said, "waffles have a much nicer texture."

Mason rolled his eyes. "Whatever babe."

"There's a lot of babes going on at this table," Nora muttered.