Chapter 9 - The Beast Is Out

It turns out that our beast isn't a killer beast. At least not in its capture situation. Where a classic monster alien starts ripping people apart and wreaks havoc, our beast seems much more controlled. This is a slightly different experience than Sally, Ryan, and Moe had in their first adventure together, in their full-length adventure "Teen Monster Hunters".

Curious? Check it out: „Teen Monster Hunters", now online available in print and as ebook.

The beast played through the sequence of action in its mind. Slip out left, unstrap right, unstrap top body. It may take five seconds if executed well. Five more seconds for the other lower body and leg straps and the two sensors. Let's make it ten seconds for the whole thing. Slip out of the non-closed door, while the human still ate his food. Uhh, hungry! Maybe it should overpower McDonald and eat whatever he had on his table? Better not, the beast had no experience in fighting with humans, though it suspected that the white coats were quite harmless.

It took the planned seconds to unstrap, slide off the table, and stealthily and silently crawled along the wall to the cracked open door. McDonald was unaware of what was going on, munching on his food, sipping his can of Coke. And after a real careful toeless tip-toeing, the beast made it to the door. The beast did not know but the lab safety protocols worked in its favor. It was hard to get into the lab for security reasons, but easy to get out in case of safety concerns in case something went wrong in the lab. It turned the handle skillfully with its tail without making any sound and squeezed through.

McDonald looked at his watch. Where was Fu? They had to transport the beast back to the habitat before the exercise curfew. He felt a slight draft of air and glanced around, but saw nothing and got back to his news website and picked out the last cheese cubes from his salad.

For more than a year, he had been researching the invisible creature. But his brilliant scientific mind never made the connection between the "unexplained air draft" to the "invisible creature".

The beast had laid out most of the building in its mind, having noted everywhere the guards or scientists had taken it during the last year. Down the corridor, to the left, next right. The elevator ahead. It had seen the staff operate it many times, and the use of the B2, B1, G, 1, 2 buttons was clear. Press the call button, wait for the door to open. There was a person stepping out of the elevator—the human, Fu Song! The beast made sure that it was invisible and simply waited until the carriage was clear, and the human was some yards away. Then the beast entered the elevator and pressed the button for the ground floor. The door closed, some slight vibrations and changes to gravity occurred, and then the door opened again.

The ground floor was a bit more difficult to navigate than the lab floors or the habitat, as the beast had only been there once before. Naviagting down the corridor was easy, though many more people walked around there than upstairs. The beast squeezed against the wall, to be not detected or stepped on accidentally.

There! Daylight at the end of the corridor. The beast moved forward, but not too far. The corridor was separated from the daylight-flooded lobby by a thick glass partition. On the side, there were two hermetically sealed turnstiles. People had to walk up to it, give a language-sound, and press a finger on a panel. Then the first half of the gate would open, then close with the person inside. There was also some other test; this time of an eye scan, and then the other door would open to complete the process. The whole gate-lock procedure was accompanied by green and red lights that guided the person. The beast observed for a minute; there was no exception. The small space between the doors was too small to squeeze in with a human undetected. And the opening procedure did not allow for an attempt. Even even if it captured a finger, there was still the language test.

There had to be another way out of here. The beast slowly turned and walked the other way, still hungry.

Suddenly an insistent loud noise came from the ceiling. Beep-tut, beep-tut... Time to go!

The beast had not made it very far, when suddenly the corridor filled with a lot of people who were in the process of leaving the building. Some looked worried, some just annoyed, most did not care one way or the other. But the corridor did not offer anymore place to hide. The door next to the beast opened, and a fat ugly man stepped out, looking up and down the corridor. At the same time, some of the white-shirted guards showed up further up along, withsome sort of instrument in their hands. The beast had no idea what the instrument did, but it had no interest finding out. It was either a weapon or a detection device. Neither was good news. Within a second, the beast decided on its further route—slipped between the legs of the ugly man and slid into the room behind. Some words were exchanged outside, and the door was closed and locked from the outside. The beast was alone.

Jackpot! Not freedom, but food. This was the place it had smelled earlier through the vents. Vents—maybe a path to escape the building? But first things first. It had to find some food. It went into one of the corners and smelled delicious food inside one of the cupboards and cold storages. The beast opened the most promising one and could not believe its eyes. All the good stuff, smell-wise. Lunchtime!