Chapter 14 - A Kitchen Scene

All right, we are coming close to the end. Beast vs. Hunters! Without much further ado or shameless advertising for my full-length "Teen Monster Hunters" adventure: let's get on with the story!

„Teen Monster Hunters", now onlineavailable in print and as ebook.    

It was an act of patience. The beast was adept at survival, with the added advantage of its translucency and invisibility. When it got caught in the act of drinking milk from the jug, it simply stopped moving, switched to full invisibility, and just kept on holding the milk jug. Maybe no one would notice?

Three humans entered through the shutter gap, climbing over the counter. Interesting! These were neither soldiers nor scientists, as their dresses made that clear. And younger. And not well coordinated. The first human, a red-headed girl, was agile and quickly slid over the counter. The black younger kid with a heap of hair on its head, not sure whether a boy or girl, was not the sporty type and had some coordination issues. And the big guy was a total mess. They ended up pulling him over the counter like a bag of stones, dropping on the other side included. Hadn't the situation been serious, the beast might have uttered its equivalent of a laugh.

The kids looked around and talked among themselves. There was some agitation and pointing but it became not clear to the beast what they were doing here. Then the black kid tried the kitchen door to the corridor, but shrugged at his companions. Ah, they were looking for a way out, just like the beast. That's why they did not fit in here. Maybe they were prisoners, just like itself? But that would have been an extreme coincidence, that much the beast knew. Guys there is no way out of here, the beast thought. The tubes on the ceiling look promising, but they are not accessible. The black kid had the same idea, but much better execution as the beast. With the help of the slow big kid, he managed to remove a crucial part of the machinery, checked the inside of the vent and actually climbed in, vanishing from view. The rummaging noises from the ceiling indicated to the beast that there indeed was a way out. Well, for the beast and the smaller kids, maybe not for the big, slow one who was simply too big and uncoordinated.

The dark kid slid back into view, in soiled and stained clothing. He was excited, pointed at the vent tubes, following its path into the wall on the other side with his finger, talking fast. That appeared promising. The black kid passed the beast closely, and the beast prepared to strike out in case it was discovered. But despite the dark kid's attention for the venting mechanism, it didn't give the hovering milk jug a glance. The kid washed up, merely two yards from the beast. The red-haired girl also came in his direction, but stopped two yards before the vent. The big kid held a pot with water. Something was going on now, but the beast had no clue. Did they plan to prepare food?

Suddenly, the slow big kid became active and threw the pot's content at the beast. The wetness came as a total, shocking surprise.