Mending

I didn't quite enjoy days like this, especially considering that today was my first day back to school. I'm a fourth-year contender here, howbeit so that I may as well make the best of it.

Disregarding my loatheful attitude, my neighbourly companion, Sayori had promised to accompany me on my way there. Quite frankly, even though she was quite irksome at times, I could digress, and spend some time with her.

I remained idle by her housegate until she jostled herself out the door, hands full of writing utensils and cheap notebooks tucked in between her arms. "Hey..."

She advanced closer to me, and smiled reluctantly. "...I mean, hey! I wasn't expecting you to actually wait for me. What's going on?"

"Nothing." I replied in a way to hint that her attitude galled me.

"Just not ready for school? Well, I at least hope that you'd kept your promise." Sayori spoke, snickering slightly. I hadn't a clue what she was talking about, so I shot her a flummoxed expression, hoping that she wouldn't bereave me of my plans to sit at home and game all day.

Sayori chuckled apprehensively. "You did say that you were willing to join a club this year, -kun."

It took me a while to digest what she was gesturing. "Uh, clubs? Sayori, you must've misheard something. I didn't say anything about joining a club..."

Suddenly, Sayori's smile faded slightly as she held a weak finger up at me, almost making me regret my forthright behaviour. "But... You said that you would try and make new friends this year, though, you promised me!" she retaliated, hoping to uptick my denial.

I sighed in dismay, approaching nearer to the school whilst remaining in confrontation. "Look, I'll make new friends, relax. I just don't want to join a club... At least now."

"Will you at least check them out with me, so I can find one?" she said, proffering me a pouty face.

Sayori's always been very feeble when it comes to being let down, and I've figured that out the hard way. Although it would interfere with my alone time, I suppose I have to stand by my word, even if that means unwillingly socializing.

"Alright, Sayori, you win. I'll help you find a club," I gave in.
"As long as you're not tricking me into anything, I guess."

Sayori jumped up in glee, but suddenly ceased her excitement when I held a firm hand to my head, hinting her annoyance.

Overall, the school day wasn't completely horrid. My classes seemed quite comfortable, and being a fourth-year student and all really depletes any sense of worry I had amongst my arrival.

I waited outside of my last class, a simple study hall, as I had told Sayori that I would wait for her when it comes time to initiate congregation of clubs. Seeing her silly smile from across the hall reassured me that things wouldn't be so bad if she was by my side.

"Are you ready to look for something?" she asked me, as she ran a finger curiously along the aisles of written clubs. I couldn't even make up the mass amounts of names from within a few feet away.

She perked up, with a slight "Mh!" interjection, and spoke. "How about we check out the literature club? It doesn't seem crowded, and I've known you to be quite the reader!" she suggested with a bright smile.

"I thought we were looking for clubs that you were going to be investing in..." I spoke in a disgruntled tone of languor.

"Well... You know, I kind of wanted you to at least try it, hehe..." Sayori muttered, tapping her index fingers together in admition.

I shook my head in discomposure. "Whatever you say."

Sayori scrawled down the room address in her notebook and conveyed her excited face to me, while motioning me to follow.

Upon reaching the room, Sayori trailed her eyes up to the address number above the door, written in a trite font. "This is it!" she stammered, opening the door.

Within seconds, a pretty, affluent girl emerged into view as Sayori and I entered the room. That girl was Monika, a third-year student, one that I've known since I was in late elementary school.

"Oh, would you look at that, Sayori?" Monika said, seeming seldom surprised to see her arrive. "And... Hey! What made you stop by? It's been a while!" she spoke in a cheery, and welcoming tone.

Dithering on response, I sighed, and spoke up. "Hey, it's been a while."

I knew that I would start to feel this uncomfortable immediately. But with an end result of seeing Sayori so pleased? I guess it's worth it.