Chapter Sixteen: Purchase

It was a few hours of us still at the reunion before we left. Danny and I got a hotel, but Abby didn't want to pay for a separate room so she's staying at my grandmas house.

I sit in my blue sundress on a blanket on the beach in Wilmington. Danny's arms are around me from behind, his head burrowed in my shoulder. The sun is setting, and although we can't see it physically slip below the water because we're on the east coast, we can see the colors. The wind is blowing my hair and his and I'm so happy. He plants a feather like kiss on my neck.

"Do you like the ring?" He murmurs.

I move my left hand to look down at the ring, and I swear my heart skips a beat. It's rose gold with a circle stone, and going around the stone is diamonds, and around the band. It looks incredible.

"It's beautiful." I whisper.

"I've been better." He mutters.

"Where?" I laugh.

"Right here." He pats my thighs. "You are prettier than anything I can buy."

I smile and turn to the side, sitting sideways in his lap so I can see his face. I reach up to run my fingers through his hair and it's so satisfying to see the engagement ring glistening in the sunset colors.

"I love you so much." I whisper.

"I love you too." He murmurs.

He leans in to kiss me, but I put my left hand on his mouth.

"I need to tell you something." I mumble.

"What is it?" He asks. I drop my hand to his chest and sigh.

"I lied to you yesterday."

He draws back slightly.

"About what?"

"I wasn't upset about sex."

His eyes study mine.

"Then what was it?"

I rub my hand up and down his chest a few times.

"I was upset because you didn't propose yet."

His eyebrows raise.

"Seriously?" He asks. I nod.

"Every time I saw somebody get engaged, I got jealous. I'm impatient."

"How long have you been feeling this way?" He wonders.

I bite my lip.

"A while. A year. A year and a half."

"Why didn't you say anything?" He whispers.

"Because if you proposed, I would felt like you were pressured to do it." I shrug. "And last night I was emotional because when I asked you if I could go with you to drop off Pepper, you hesitated like you didn't want me to go."