stranger

Author Note: Thank you all for the comments & suggestions on the first chapter.  Thank you Anu, for making everything better.

A proper table was set for the Sultan to have dinner in his tent. Padmavati was seated in front of him. He pointed the plate and told her to eat and clean her plate full of lamb meat and rice.
She starts eating the rice and it's painful for her to swallow. Now that she seems like she accepted his superiority, she can't stop thinking about how she will reverse the situation.

‎It disgusts her, sharing the same table with her husband's killer, sitting next to him, breathing the same air. She wants to drop dead when she remembers how they used to feed each other with her husband. She doesn't want to show any emotions to Khilji but she is very close to crying and the burn in her throat makes it impossible to eat. She resists the pain, because she needs to eat, think and find a way to destroy this man.

‎She tries to swallow but fails miserably and starts coughing, which turns into choking in seconds.

‎Khilji doesn't mind at first, but her eyes get red and she looks like she could pass out any moment. He leans and pats her back roughly for a few times. She clearly didn't want to be saved which can be understood from her disappointed expression on her face. Khilji finds it entertaining but holds back his laugh and hands her his cup. She drinks the water and looks down.
‎"You need a rest." Khilji says and tells the servants to prepare a bed for Padmavati and a soup which will be easier for her to eat.

‎She stands still, staring at Khilji. He wipes his mouth and calls for one of his servants again. Padmavati stares at him as he whispers something, feeling like her ears don't work.

‎The male servant says a few words, smiling and she doesn't get it. Maybe her brain doesn't function properly due to dehydration and starvation. She really needs to eat.

‎Khilji turns back to her. "Look how you paled! I wasn't talking about you, habibi." He says with the mock obvious in his voice.

Padmavati barely hears or sees him, her vision blurring and her tongue feels numb. She puts her hand on table for support but it topples down, candles and everything on the big metal tray spilling on her. She startles a bit but doesn't get up since doesn't have the strength to do so.

‎She opens her mouth to say something but she can't. Khilji gets up on his feet, walking to her side. She wants to run away from his touch but darkness takes her.

***

Khilji carried her to his bed, feeling scared of she might actually die and all the battles he fought would mean nothing.

He removed all the clothing stained with food and candles, leaving her only with the blouse and skirt.

‎She looked so pale and vulnerable, nothing like the first time he saw her. He didn't properly see her. But this... This is probably the only time he can touch her without her killing herself or him.

She doesn't want him. So what? She probably never will. Not today, not ever. Maybe if I act nice around her... Khilji thinks. But I killed her husband.

‎He inhaled her smell which took him to a state of euphoria again. He dreamed of this for a long time. He wanted to touch her, claim her. He wanted to carry her inside him, or in a bottle like an essence. Essence of everything divine and inexplicably magical. He wouldn't be surprised if she grows flowers on her hair, or lights up the night with her fingertips. He's unable to see her as any other human being and this leads him to resisting his desires for Padmavati, something he never does.