28 Identity (4)

Wu Xingxie purposely sat on the side in which the black pieces were because in Xiangqi, the red player always goes first. Therefore, one would have to be careful when choosing the first move. As a guard who had been to war, Wei certainly knew how the military functioned.

In Xiangqi, the purpose of the game is to checkmate the enemy's king. Even the pieces in real life are used in wars. You have a king, which is also the general who has to be protected by the soldiers, guards, canons, horses, elephants, and canon pieces.

In order to play the game, one must know how the pieces move. Those who are familiar with military tactics are even better at it as they can expect their opponents next move.

"Go ahead." Xingxie gestured at the pieces for Wei to make his first attack.

Wei set his elbow on the table and rested his chin on his palm, looking down at the pieces.

He played Xiangqi before, but he was never interested in the game itself. He was only playing since Wu Xingxie suggested. This way, he wouldn't have to wait outside on guard like other days. Even though he was her bodyguard, he could see that she was skeptical of him.

It wasn't her fault though because she barely knew anything about him.

Before starting, Wei wanted to wager with Wu Xingxie.

"Eldest Miss, why don't we bet?"

Wu Xingxie didn't think about it much as she nodded.

"What are the stakes?"

"We'll play three games. The loser has to do what the winner wants for 3 days."
He replied, saying it with a serious face even though he knew he might lose. If she was the winner, then that's fine by him.

Wu Xingxie was silent for a minute but she agreed to his bet.

Wei picked up his right cannon and moved it two places over to the left. Wu Xingxie smirked, as she also picked up her right cannon but moved it three places to her left.

On the second moves, Wei moved his cannon to its original position which confused Wu Xingxie but she moved her left horse behind her soldier, which was also beside her left cannon.

Seeing this, Wei made the same move on his side but on his right. Wu Xingxie moved her horse on her right as well. To those who didn't know how Xiangqi worked, they would think the players were just copying each other. However, they were really setting up defense.

For the fourth moves, Wei moved his left cannon one piece forward while Wu Xingxie moved her middle soldier forward.

On the fifth moves, Wei moved his right guard in front of his general. This was because the generals could never come face to face. Unlike other pieces, the general and his two guards are restricted inside the "palace".

Wu Xingxie didn't really care as she moved her right chariot a place to the left. She had confident she would definitely beat him.

As they continued to play, Wu Xingxie clearly had the upper hand.

Wei already had 3 of his pieces taken away and Wu Xingxie's troops were blocking his, so he couldn't move them.

"And, checkmate." Wu Xingxie declared as Wei's troops were all trapped by hers. He could neither defend nor attack or else his general would be killed.

"Are you even taking this seriously?" Wu Xingxie arched an eyebrow, as Wei sighed.

"Let's continue to round two."

He realized how competitive this Eldest Miss was even though they were only playing Xiangqi! She arranged her pieces until his own troops were pushed together and blocked so they couldn't move forward or go back either.

Since Xiangqi was basically war on board games, he concluded how Wu Xingxie dealt with her enemies. She never attacked first, but waited for the enemy to make their mistake. Then, she would strike only when she was sure his pieces could not counterattack against hers.

Eldest Miss, you really are smart.

Wei rearranged his troops to where they were originally as the second round began.
This time, he would try to take at least one of her troops.

***
Seeing the woman of his interest sitting in a room with some other man really made him envious.

Although they were simply playing a game of Xiangqi, that man seemed too happy.

I helped you at the banquet, but you haven't even thought of me once?

Bao Ling would never admit he was jealous no matter how much he felt it. However, he knew Wu Xingxie said that she had no intentions of falling in love, so that cheered him up.

"No matter how much you try, Wei, she'll never fall for your tricks."

He was right, because Wu Xingxie wasn't interested in romantic relationships. She was caught up with her secret revenge and needed time to plan out her machinations.

She was merely trying to figure out what motives Wei would have, for him to be her bodyguard.

*****
Who do guys think will win?

If Wei wins, what do think he will do?

If Wu Xingxie wins, what do think she will do?