Chapter 13

Omega pov

I shoot up in bed. Something is wrong. Goosebumps rise on my skinny stomach turns and I know that this is the mate bond. Something must be wrong with Will. I must find him quick he could be in danger.
I get out of bed and slip on my shoes. I run out of my home and towards the pack house.
I try to piece together what could possibly be wrong. I remember my panic attack last night. Maybe he was sad and hurt himself. After all, I have come to terms with the fact that he does want me. The only reason I haven't accepted him is that I'm scared that he'll hurt me again. I can't let him hurt himself though. Maybe its time I accept him.
I make my way towards the pack house. I am about to enter when I hear something around back. It sounds like a lot of people. My breath quickens and not just from the run but, I know that I must see what's happening.
I sneak around the house still scared to be seen by anyone. I have not forgotten what these people are capable of. I peek around the corner of the house to see that a stage had been set up. The crowd stands around the stage cheering. Finally, I see him and luckily, he doesn't appear hurt. He stands on the stage with a serious look on his face. It is a face I have been hoping to forget. Everything is wrong here.
Then I notice two of the pack's warriors hauling a limp feminine body up the stairs of the stage. What is this?
"This here is a traitor", the pack boos at Will's words in agreement, "she knowingly let the Luna of this pack be harmed". I recognize her then, or at least what's left of her. I gasp shocked and appalled at what had become of Dr. Azur. That queasy feeling returns to my stomach and with great sadness, I realize that Will did this to her. She has been beaten so badly that her chest heaves and she struggled to hold her head up.
Then it occurs t me what Will just said. It is true that she had suspicions but, she didn't know. I also found ways to make it clear that I didn't want her theory getting out. She knew how scared I was and only wanted to protect me. I can't let her get hurt anymore.
I begin to push through the crowd and as I make my way through people began to recognize and make way for me. Will notices the parting crowd and sees me. His face softens a bit from its malicious expression. Knowing that I'll be unable to pull myself up I opt to take the stairs that the warriors just took.
After getting myself up I stop at Dr. Azur. The two men don't stop me. Her eyes are both swollen shut so I doubt she can see me. Everything about her once pristine self is now battered and bruised.
Anger washes over me. He will never change; he only redirects to where it is most convenient for him. I now notice that the crowd has fallen silent in anticipation of my actions. I turn away from her and towards Will whose face is now nervous as it should be.
I storm towards him and raise my hand bringing it down across his face. I barely move as I'm still very weak but, he's still hurt by my actions.
Leaning into him I whisper in his ear, "fix this". My voice comes out with a violent edge.
I stalk off the stage and the crowd parts for me once again. I hide my heartbreak with my anger. I had been thinking lately that just maybe we could be okay. I'm so stupid. People never change.
Who's to say he won't hurt me again? Maybe I'll accept and once he has what he wants things will go back to how they were before. I have blurry memories of before all that and I think we may have been friends at one point. If he'd hurt his friend, then why not his mate?
I feel tears streaming down my cheeks and my breath quickens. Luckily, I arrive back home and shut and lock every door. I don't want to see him for a while and if I know anything it is that he will be by to see me soon. I don't want to hear an apology or explanation. I just need to be alone for now.
I drag myself upstairs and to my bed. I swear I just got out of these covers but, that now feels like forever ago. I pull the quilt up and over my head. I want to shut out the world for a while.
...
Not much time passes before I hear a frantic knock at my door. I hear him outside begging me to let him in. I hear every plea and apology. I know from the sound of his voice that he's been crying.
I'm so sick of all of this. I'm done with all the tears and apologies between us. I wish that there was something more meaningful than rejection. Maybe I can convince him to accept it.
If he accepts the rejection, we are still technically soulmates but, the pull will be gone. Maybe if the pull goes away so will he.
I sigh and pull myself back out of bed and down the stairs. I stand in front of the dour and I know he can hear me because all goes silent but the sound of his now softer cries.
"Will I think it's time you accept the rejection", I try to sound confident but, it's impossible. He gasps audibly from the other side of the door.
"No please you don't mean that", he begs, "you can't mean that". He breaks down more from the other side, but I remain silent. There's nothing left to say.

 There's nothing left to say