Chapter 34- King Shark

MacKenzie's POV

"And who are you?" Dr Lamden asks me. "You look a little too young to be looking into research."

"I'm....going over there..." I say, pointing behind me to a desk.

I listen to Caitlin and Cisco talk to Dr Lamden from the desk.

"It's been two years since your particle accelerator exploded. Seems a little late to be asking questions about my husband, doesn't it?" Dr Lamden says.

"Your husband passed away from cancer, correct?" Caitlin asks.

"I suppose you could say that." Dr Lamden says. "It only took three days for every cell in his body to grow uncontrollably. Whatever cancer he had, it turned him into something... not human."

"Well, that's why we're here, actually." Cisco says.

"There's a meta-human in Central City whose body seems to be mutating in the same way as your late husband, but he didn't die, he became a dangerous monster." Caitlin says.

"My husband was no monster." Dr Lamden defends.

"That's not what she was implying." Cisco says.

"What does this have to do with me?" Dr Lamden asks.

"We've read about the research you're doing here on sharks." Caitlin says.

"Mm-hmm, yeah, I've had some encouraging results, although still preliminary." Dr Lamden says.

"We need to see it." Caitlin says.

"I beg your pardon?" Dr Lamden asks.

"Your research, all of it." Caitlin says.

"What my colleague means to say is that if you could please let us take a look at your findings, it could help us stop this meta-human from hurting anyone." Cisco says.

"You're with S.T.A.R. Labs. I'm just supposed to trust you?" Dr Lamden asks.

"Please, Mrs. Lamden. This could help save lives." Cisco says.

"I'll email you what I have." Dr Lamden says.

"Thank you." Cisco says. Dr Lamden walks away. "Little harsh."

"I was being direct." Caitlin says as I walk over to them.

"Yeah, well, that's one way to describe it." Cisco says.

"You've been acting differently toward me ever since you got back from Earth-2. What's your problem, Cisco?" Caitlin asks.

"Nothing. Let's just go." Cisco says.

Caitlin looks at me and I shrug.

***

Later that night....

I'm working on a device on the desk in the cortex as Caitlin huffs next to me.

"This is a complete waste of time." Caitlin says, typing on the computer. "We're not gonna find anything in Doctor Lamden's research to tell us how to find King Shark."

"Maybe I should take a look." Cisco says.

"Oh, yeah, 'cause you're the doctor with a specialty in bio-chem." Caitlin says.

"I'm just saying maybe you could use another set of eyes, considering." Cisco says.

"Considering what?" Caitlin asks.

"Considering the way you've been acting lately." Cisco says and I frown.

"What does that mean?" Caitlin asks.