The Truth Will Out

23 August 1522
Clara's POV

"Why won't you play with us, Clara?"asks Elizabeth in a heartrending voice. She and Esther look at me with their large eyes, one pair green, and the other brown. I have been deep in thought for a while now, lodged comfortably in this armchair while my little sisters play happily together. Perhaps I haven't been as attentive as usual but I still don't want to have to tell them that I am not in the mood for their games.

"Sorry, I'm just quite tired. Why don't you ask Mary?" Mary is the girls' nursemaid. I don't think this is a good suggestion, judging by their disappointed faces. "Alright. But quickly, because I would like to have a rest soon." Elizabeth gives me one of her innocent-disdainful stares.

"You just had a rest," she complains, as Esther runs forwards and grabs my hand. I gently brush a couple of black curls out of her face and smile. "When I grow up, will I be tired?"she asks timidly. I can't help laughing at how different my sisters are, but I dutifully stand up and play with them while doing so. Small children can be quite persuasive if they want to be, especially ones as sweet as Lizzie and Esther. I suspect that with such a mother as Diana, both of them will grow up to be enchantingly pretty, but for now I don't have to worry. I know both of them will outshine me one day; it's not difficult.

Suddenly, just as the little girls have me with my hands over my eyes while they hide, I hear the door open. I don't want to offend my sisters by looking, so I just ask, "Who is it?"

One of the maids, most likely Joanne, replies, "Mistress Anne, Your Grace." Oh. Her. I'd rather it was Lady Bryan come to tell me off for exciting Lizzie and Esther than her. However, I was taught not to be visibly rude so I simply turn my back and start searching for my sisters. Unfortunately, Anne Starling has not had the same life lessons.

"Princess Clara,"she says. "Lady Bryan has suggested that we go for a walk in the garden." I still don't want to turn around, because I know how instantly  moody I will get as soon as lay eyes upon her.
"I don't always listen to Lady Bryan. She made a suggestion, and I'm playing with my sisters." It's remarkable how easily I decide that I actually want to get up and play with Lizzie and Esther. Shows just how much I really don't want to spend time with Anne.
"They're just babies, come on. Lady Bryan says you have to take a walk every day and it'll be better now than later because the sky is going grey." I remove my hands and turn around, making sure Anne can see that I roll my eyes in irritation. As expected, I can see my companion standing in her typical folded-arm-hunched-shoulders stance. Strange. I recognise that dress...
"Fine. Lizzie, Esther, I have to take a walk now. I'll be back to play with you soon, alright?" I hear a disembodied 'mmhm', and take that as my cue to leave.

We walk along the stone paths between the avenue of trees, passing the beginnings of rose bushes and bright, blooming flowers. However, I can't pull my gaze from the gown Anne is wearing. She seems oblivious to my attention, so I take in every detail carefully.
It's unusually ornate, with those pretty taffeta sleeves and an emerald green bodice crammed with pearls in a swirling pattern. Anne seems to be take smaller steps and I'm not surprised, considering those skirts look far to long and wide for her body. To be completely honest, she looks like she is drowning in it. The gown is very beautiful; I actually like it and would wear it myself. But haven't I worn it?
I glance behind us at the servants walking not far behind. They are close enough, but I'd guess out of earshot. I'd better make use of this otherwise awkward time alone with Anne's simpering manner.
"Your gown is very nice. Where is it from?"I ask politely. I intend to find out why I recognise it so much. "My mother sent it to me from London: it's the latest fashion," Anne replies. Of course, she had to show off. Ugh, my mind is so close to remembering! It's like trying to hold a slippery fish but every time you grip it, your fingers slide and let go.
Wait... no, it can't be...