Chapter 4: That Damn Fox

Akira POV

The sun was starting to set in the distance, making the woods darker and darker. A small breeze was starting to pick up, making it a little cold. Looking over to my traveling companion, I see Shirayuki looking around nervously. "Don't worry." I state, getting her attention. "We'll find someplace to sleep for the night soon." I place a confident smile on my face.

She chuckles at me. "You sound very sure about that, Akira."

"Because I am." I grin to her.

She returns the smile as we continue to trek through the trees. Not too long after, I see a looming building off to the left of the trail. I grin to myself under the hood. That's definitely the building from the first episode. "Hey, Shirayuki!" I say excitedly. "Look! There's a building over there!" She looks at me confused, then looks over to the left side. Peering down the wayward trail, I could tell that she was straining to see it. "Wow, Akira. You must have really good eyesight to see all the way down there."

I scratch my cheek sheepishly. Must be another attribute I got from that damn fox. After changing course, we walk- hobbling for me- down the trail a little bit more, Shirayuki was able to clearly see the building. We started to pick up the pace a little bit, though it was difficult since the path was so uneven. Shirayuki had looped her arm around my waist and started to help me walk, which quickened our progress much more.

'Even though the house is empty...'

I was leading her on, I realized. But I know that it will come down to that fateful meeting. Even so, I couldn't help but feel guilty for doing that, leading her on a mini goose chase.

We stepped out of the shade of the trees and into a clearing. It was a two-level house made of red brick, and had plenty of windows. Two chimneys topped off the roof, and there was a fence-like wall to the left of the door and behind the house. The wall left of the doorway ran a few meters, creating a small yard, before ending in crumbling brick.

It was obvious this house was old. The windows were fogged with old age, the yard had not been tended to, and ivy vines climbed the walls. We step up to the front door. Shirayuki starts to knock a few times and calls out. "Excuse me! Excuse me! Is anyone home? I have someone who's injured. Hello?" She sighs and sits against the side of the house. I slump down next to her.

"We can't just go in without permission..." she mumbles to herself. "But it's already dark." She pauses as she looks to the sky. "And I'm starting to get hungry." She whispers as she ducks her head to her knees. I silently sigh to myself. Reaching over, I plop a hand down on her head in a reassuring manner.

"Just get some rest. We both have a big day tomorrow." She looks gazes at me, confused, but I could tell that she was tired. She nods her head and takes her satchel as a pillow. No sooner then she closed her eyes that she fell asleep.

'I might as well get somewhat comfortable.'

I take my kendo sword, which I latched to my belt, and untie it from the belt. I lean my sword on my shoulder and cross my arms around it. It might seem crazy to sleep with a wooden sword, but I don't know this world and it's best to take precautions.

Just as I was about to go to sleep, my arm burned with familiar pain. I hiss quietly and bite my tongue so I don't wake Shirayuki. I pull my sleeve up to see the golden armlet glowing slightly. The fox shifted and opened its eyes. "Well?" It asks.

"'Well' what?" I shot back at the fox.

"How do you like it here?" The fox elaborates as it slowly walks down my arm.

I scoff. "I don't know what I should think. I mean, first I was in my original world, now I'm in the anime that I've most recently watched. Plus, I have fox ears and a tail," I glower at the fox. "And a talking metal fox armlet. How should I react?"

The fox just chuckles at me as it jumps off my arm and onto the ground. It sat in front of me on its rear, and stared at me with amused emerald eyes. I stare back at it. An undecided staring contest starts as we gaze at the other.

I sigh and look away first. "Tell me, what should I call you other than 'that damn fox'?" I ask. I see the fox's tail twitch in an annoyed manner as the fox seemingly grits its teeth. I'm pretty sure that I saw a tick mark appear on its head. I smirk.

'So this high and mighty fox does have a breaking point.'

"A name..." the fox mumbles. "Just call me Yuuto." He grins a mischievous smile. I scoff slightly. "Alright. Yuuto it is."

"Now tell me, Yuuto, how and why am I here?" I ask, lean towards the fox. A secretive smile curls on his lips.

"How? I can't tell you. Why? Oh, its all because of a wish, my friend! A wish you made!" He laughs. "Don't you remember what you read? Before all of this happened? When you found me?" I frown in thought.

Slowly, I start to remember what he's talking about. "The... inscription..." a cold stone sends my stomach into knots.

'For those who believe in wishes, take heed of this advice. For just like the fox, a wish is always more trickier than it seems.'

My face pales. "Oh, no..."