Chapter Twenty One: Elodie

Sun warms my eyelids through the curved window and glass cools my cheek. I try to let the vibration of the car soothe me . . . to massage out the knots in my core. Honey-smooth rays smoothe my hair back and kiss my forehead, the rough edge of the seat belt digs into my neck, burning car leather infuses heat throughout my body, but nothing can tame my raging thoughts.

I try to instead focus on the good things--like the fact that we managed to get a car. Sheila had made the argument that since the car keys fit into the little bag we were allowed to take, that we could take the car too. It worked. Dungworth was just so fed up, that all he wanted was for us to be gone. He let us keep the car. It was the car that he’d driven to take us out of the facility, so it had some useful things like our forgotten pen-knives stowed away inside the side pockets of the car.

We’d also managed to fit some non-perishable food into our bag, along with some clothes and a few items relating to hygiene--but that’s pretty much it. Together, we only have enough money to stay in a motel for a week at the most, including the cost of food and gas. Money, however, is the least of our problems. Our first impossible task would be in trying to find out where this mysterious Lombard’s Pit is located. Currently, our only lead is a town--Galishire--the center of a massive spike in ‘accidental’ deaths.

I find myself drifting further into my thoughts. I feel so tired, heavy in the midst of stale sunshine, my head pressing into the leather of the seat. Every step we take in trying to get out of this mess is backed by nothing but a hazy, spotty cloud, and my foot has yet to hit something solid--even if it’s just a plank barely staying afloat in deep waters.

I don’t know how long I slog through these thoughts, but at some point, I must fall asleep, because the next thing I know, my surroundings are shrouded in the darkness of the night sky.

Blinking fully awake, I see that we’ve stopped. It’s night time. Vague pinpoints of lights dot the sky, and the red and yellow neon glow of the gas station sign gleans of the car windows. Next to me, I hear the soft sighs of breathing and turn to see that Elie is slumped over, asleep in the driver’s seat.

Moonlight bleeds onto his face, lighting gold strands of hair and the slight curve of his lips. I tear my eyes away from him and look around the car, only to see that Sheila, Dev, and Jayne are gone. They must have gone into the gas station.

The grossly artificial fluorescent light allows me to see into the station, where I see a bored cashier and an inpatient Jayne. Sheila and Dev both stand behind her, awkwardly hefting an armful of food while trying to placate Jayne.

I gently shake Elie awake. He blearily stirs and squints at me bemusedly, as if to silently ask what I was waking him for. Not wanting to disturb the silence, I simply gesture towards the store window where Jayne has gotten worked up enough to wave a threatening finger into the employee’s face. Elie nods and shoves open the car door. As he slams it shut, a gust of chilled air slaps me, and I mentally prepare myself for the cold before stepping out and skirting around the car.

Elie tiredly smiles at me, warming me up instantly, and I resist giving into the impulse to grab his hand. Together, we walk towards the store, and the doors automatically open to welcome us into a wonderfully toasty environment.

“--you kidding me?” Jayne flaps a pink coupon around violently, before yelling, “This coupon is eligible for any item in the store. It says that right here!”

The employee frowns, annoyed, before pointing to the date on the coupon, “Ma’am, this expired two weeks ago.” Where the hell did she find a coupon anyway?

I walk forward and pluck the coupon from her hands. “Let’s just pay and go,” I mutter. Jayne rolls her eyes and takes out a credit card.

The cashier holds out a hand to stop her, “Unfortunately, our cash register is broken. We can only take cash at the moment.”

Jayne’s face turns beet red with anger, “Goddamnit! At this point, we’re gonna die before reaching the pit!” Sheila slaps a twenty dollar bill onto the counter before Jayne can get an opportunity to argue, but the clerk--whose name is Ryna according to the nametag--just stands in shock, not making any move to take the money. “What’s the problem now?” Jayne snaps.

“The . . . the pit?” he breathes, as if in total disbelief.

“Yeah, Lombard’s Pit or something,” Jayne’s eyes light, “You know of it?”

He pales suddenly, shaking his head. He quickly rings up all of the items in the cash register and gives us back our change. “Goodbye, have a nice night.”

Almost in unison, we step forward. “Goodbye?” Sheila questions.

“So soon?” Jayne inquires.

I give him a little smirk, “We aren’t leaving until you tell us something . . . .”

Elie steps up next to me, “What are you hiding?”

The cashier’s eyes dilate till his irises are nothing more than thin ribbons dancing around a sea of black. He’s scared.

Dev lowers his voice, “Tell us.”

The clerk’s hands start to shake, his breathing quickens. He’s definitely scared. “It’s,” he begins, “It’s here. You’re right here. Why are you here? It’s--”

“Yes?” I prompt him to continue.

We take another collective step forwards, and all too soon, he relaxes. His breathing becomes normal. His hands stop shaking, and he starts leaving the register. He takes off his apron and neatly folds it, before walking right out the door, leaving us high on an unsatisfied curiosity, and stumbling to interpret what he’d said.

You’re right here. Why are you here?

***

Author's Note:

Yes, yes I know. Late again.

*Hangs head in shame*

I'm such a procrastinator . . . Also, sorry for the short chapter :)

Any theories on cashier dude?

And thank you to mahana258 for the amazing cover! I love it!

♥️♥️♥️