Chapter Thirty: Elodie

A blast of chilly, murky air washes over my face, cooling beads of sweat that had formed on my forehead. I almost can’t bear to look in, fearing what I will find. Ashes swirl, filling my lungs and making my diaphragm spasm. I swallow thickly and blink in an effort to clear my vision.

The tunnel walls themselves are just packed dirt: nothing more, nothing less. I take one hesitant step inside. And then a second step. A quick glance behind me tells me that Elie, Sheila, Jayne and Dev are close behind.

Sheila furiously wipes at her face, spreading ash all over her cheeks. “Am I the only one thinking about that chimney sweep dude from The Sound of Music? ‘Cause that’s who feel like right now.”

Dev raises a semi-offended eyebrow, “It’s Mary Poppins, you insentient protohuman!”

Jayne rolls her eyes, looking amused.

Sheila turns her head dangerously towards Dev, “What did you just call me, gonad? I can make you scream bloody fucking murder with this fist if you don’t shut up,” she lifts her fist menacingly. Dev shrinks back nervously and mimes zipping his lips.

I wave a pilfered gas station flashlight at them, “Concentrate, guys.” Sheila glares at me but reluctantly lowers her fist, and Dev smiles triumphantly at her.

The flashlights do little to light the pathway--the farther we walk into the tunnel, the dimmer the lighting gets. The flashlight is simply one cutting beam with the power to shine over one single patch of soggy muck; so the farther we venture, the more I begin to doubt the flashlight’s capability to help us. Elie comes up beside me, sliding his hand up along the wall. He looks fine now, but a moment ago, he looked like he was going insane. The image had only been made more complete with the flames dancing across his eyes and reflecting off glowing strands of hair. I realize I’m staring, but what’s the chance that he’ll notice in the dark anyway?

As if hearing my thoughts, his eyes flash in the darkness towards me, and I trip in spite of myself. He cracks a smile and pointedly steps over a pebble, demonstrating mastery when he doesn’t trip and walks over to me. “I leave you alone for one minute and you trip over a rock the size of my pinky toe.”

“Well then, your pinky toe must be really big, because the rock I tripped on was huge.”

“Nah, I take it back, that rock was as big as your heart.”

Sheila snorts just as I scoff. “What’s that supposed to mean? Are you saying that my heart is small or big? Think carefully before you answer.” His smile falters slightly and he shrugs. I bump against him playfully, trying to show him that there are no hard feelings. His posture stiffens and he subtly quickens his pace. My hearts tugs and I’m surprised to find that I feel ever so slightly hurt at this gesture.

I slow to match Sheila’s pace. “What’s up with him?”

She sighs, “And now you decide to talk to me.”

“What?”

“I mean, you’ve kinda stopped talking as much to the rest of us. Like, I get it. You have a thing for Elie or whatever, but you can’t just ignore us all the time.”

I feel the defensive part of me rising, but I tamp it down for the sake of the conversation. Have I really just been ignoring them? “Well, we haven’t gotten many opportunities to talk in the first place with all that’s been going on, anyway.”

She tilts her head away disappointedly. “Fine, just ignore us.”

“Oh, come one, Sheila!” an uncomfortable feeling crawls up into my chest and my cheeks flush hot. I’ve never really had to deal with conflicts concerning close friends before. I look back at Jayne, and Dev, who pretend not to notice. All of a sudden, I feel angry, and I cross my hands defensively across my chest.