Chapter 48- Second Helpings & Second Chances

Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was the question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.
-Nicole Krauss, The History of Love

Everly

"I think I'm going to get a tattoo," Bel announces.

Her random proclamation stops me mid motion as I go to place a plate of food on the table. I share a look with Caylin who is helping me set up for our feast.

Caylin smirks at Bel, "I seem to recall a certain someone yowling in pain during our marking ceremony. Now, who could that've been, eh?"

Snickering at the memory, I look up at Bel who has placed her hands on her hips, "That was different and you know it, Caylin!" Resolution fills her eyes, "I'm going to talk to Danny-"

"Talk to me about what?" Danny asks. Walking up to the table with Mason, they both place a tray of turkey and ham down before turning to us girls.

"Tattoos," Caylin answers. "Bel here is thinking about getting one."

My brother quirks his eyebrow at Bel, "Really? From what I hear, you have a very low threshold for pain."

Laughter consumes me when Bel rolls her eyes in irritation, "I'm never going to live that down, am I?"

Mason smiles as he wordlessly eyes Bel.

"What?" she asks.

With a shrug and shake of the head, my cousin runs his hands through his long hair. "I'm just imagining you with some ink. Maybe on your shoulder or back-"

"It'd be sexy as hell," an unfamiliar voice calls out.

Turning towards the smoky voice, I find a tall, young woman standing with Logan and Nolan. Her skin reminds me of a coloring book with thick, black designs shaded with vibrant colors. The skin that is not tattooed is a soft, caramel color. All of her ink add to her beauty which is exotic and captivating.

The outsider has drawn the interest of everyone in the room. Jack, Charlie, and Zeke stand up from their spots on the couch. Trent remains seated but glances up with feigned interest. Micah and John end their private conversation and lean against a post with their arms folded. Caylin, Bel, and I stare at her with curiosity. Mason and Danny gawk at her too. I sense her discomfort as she peers at each of us, "Tattoos on a woman are hot." Looking at Bel, she continues, "If you're interested, I'd love to lay some ink on you."

"And you are?" Bel asks.

Logan steps forward, "White River Pack, this is Kea. She's the newest member of the Ozark Mountain Crew and Danny's new apprentice."

Danny and Mason step forward to join everyone as they greet the bears. I sense Caylin stiffen next to me as we watch the stranger shake hands with my brother. You alright? I ask her through our mind-link.

She glances at me with a look of disinterest, Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be, Love?

Caylin walks toward the back door, "I'm gonna go find Thea and Seri. They were outside with your mom." She quickly exits the lodge.