Chapter 9: The Summit (Cold Plunge)

Parker

I woke up this morning with a horrible feeling.

The feeling let me know that something bad is coming. I would like to think I've prepared myself for the inevitable, but I have no clue what is coming towards us. It does not help situations when tonight is the summit of the werewolves.

Kohl explained that the Summit promises to bring every werewolf pack together in one place. It's the first step in creating a stable, healthy alliance. The werewolves have never been united from what I'm told. Everything is a power-play and politics, even in the supernatural world.

I've watched wolves arrive all day through my window. It's been a day of watching imposing and rather terrifying figures arrive onto the pack lands. I've watched Kohl greet them from my window. He always seems to find me in the window above the drive watching.

I'm not sure how I feel about any of this.

The Summit is basically a very large bonfire. I'm not sure why I expected it to be the least bit formal. A perfect Werewolf Summit is fittingly a bonfire. Night falls and wolves congregate on the land. I dress myself in a black dress shirt and a pair of dark jeans I fished out of my mess of clothes. I pair black dress boots with them hoping they won't get too dirty.

I dress to impress.

I am combing my hair when there's a knock on the door. I can almost smell Kohl and I yell for him to come in. I find it incredibly gross that I can almost sense him. Even grosser that I can physically smell him when he's close enough. I turn to the door to see Gaius and Kohl staring at me by the door. The Alpha looks very attractive in a rugged way.

Gaius is wearing a pair of black slacks with a blood-red flannel shirt. He has combed his hair back and shaved slightly. He seems more dominant than he has before. I almost feel a bit worried. I realize he has to be feeling on edge for various reasons, one being that he's not the only Alpha here.

Kohl is wearing khaki lacks with a light blue shirt. His hair is much the same as his Father and his face is hairless entirely. His strong chin is clenched slightly and his blue eyes are centered on me. I realize for the first time that his left eye has a touch of heterochromia. There's a very noticeable amount of brown in one eye that makes perfect sense for some odd reason.

I can't break the gaze until I hear Gaius clear his throat. He appears to be in some discomfort.

"You look nice tonight." Gaius says eliciting a guttural growl from Kohl. Gaius laughs before trying to cover it up with a cough. He quickly turns his attention back to me asking, "Are you ready?"

"For?" I ask.

"All these wolves are gathered here because you could be the one person who can make an honest wolf out of my son. As he ascends to alpha, you will find your true purpose." Gaius announces, "It's a lot of pressure and not every wolf is going to be receptive to you. Even more will not believe a human is formidable."

"I gathered."

I've gained a large amount of respect from the wolves here but there are still wolves who are furious I'm allowed to be here. Some wolves hate me for being human while some hate me for being a lightning rod for everything going on between the packs. Most of the wolves who hate me for being human can't fathom a human leading their pack.

I'd have thought it was the idea of two males but wolves seem to be more progressive on that front.

Not all wolves are like that, though. There are far more skeptics now than people who hate me.