4.

Year 1138

A week later

Louisa's POV

I had thought that my parents' death would be the best thing in my life, but I had grown to be so attached to them that I couldn't help but think about it.

It was said that they were killed by pirates at sea, but how could pirates win against some of the strongest Stormguard and so many other people on the ship so easily? It just didn't make sense.

I wanted more recognition from them. More words of encouragement. More of them telling me, "You're the only person we can depend on now.", that I would be their rightful successor. Why did they have to leave me so early?

But as a result of this, Catherine became the Captain of the Stormguard, with Damien being the vice-captain.

On the other hand, I had become the Queen.

I had been trying to find the right time to tell everyone regarding my relationship with Damien, but I was afraid the controversy would throw me off just like what had happened to Julia. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

In frustration, I unknowingly walked into a part of Mont Lille I had never realised I had accessed before.

Try your key, I heard from the other side of the door so I pulled out the key and slid it into chamber's lock, and the door swung wide open.

The aviary was a narrow, tall courtyard around which the rest of the palace had been built upon. It was open to the sky, and perches covered in ravens’ nests protruded from the walls.

I walked out into the garden, my bare feet sinking into the wild grass and flowers. My neck craned up as the ravens glided down in wide circles with light on stone fountains, benches and on my shoulders. When I held out my fingers one of them curled his talons around it. I know I should have been afraid but instead I smiled, delighted at the hefty weight of them, at their majestic size.

The Queen is dead, came a whisper from one shoulder.

Long live the Queen, whispered the one on my hand.

I blinked and my eyes followed the raven as it flew off.

"Am I hearing things?"

To a certain person:Leena, if you're reading this, just know that I really want to talk to you.