-Chapter Twenty Two-

Katrina

My head is killing me, and I have no idea why. All I do know is that it's only getting worse as time goes on, and no amount of pain pills is helping diminish it. Leaning back in the recliner next to Seth's hospital bed, I groan and rub my eyes, thinking that maybe the lack of sleep or proper nutrition might be a couple of reasons my head is splitting.

The feeling of someone crawling into my lap makes my eyes open, and I faintly smile at the sight of little Avery sitting on my lap, her curly pigtails and bright blue eyes helping settle some of the ache in my heart.

"What's wrong?" She asks with concern, one of her tiny hands pressing against my cheek.

"I'm fine pumpkin, my head just hurts a little." I reply, not wanting to tell her how bad I feel. She's been worried enough as it is considering Seth hasn't moved from the bed in the week he's been in it, the last thing I want is for her to be worrying about me too.

"Maybe these can help. They make me feel better." She says, holding up a piece of her favorite candy to me. I look at the piece of grape flavored sugar with torn feelings, my dislike for anything excessively sweet warring with wanting to make the pup in my lap happy...

Sighing, I take the candy from her with a smile and popping it in my mouth, preparing to sit through at least five minutes of letting the treat melt on my tongue...only to be a bit shocked at my body's reaction.

Don't get me wrong, it still tastes nasty, but as it melts in my mouth the pounding in my head begins to dissipate...much to my surprise and relief.

"They really do help, thank you sweetie."

She grins widely at me before she lays down with her head pressed over my heart.

"If you want more, I have a big bag full. Whatever flavor you want."

As I wrap one of my arms around her tiny frame, I find myself asking something surprising.

"How about a cherry one?"

She giggles and pulls one from the bag she has clutched in her hand, and I take it as she eats a green colored for herself. The cherry flavor of mine doesn't really taste any better, but it does help with my headache significantly.

"Is he going to wake up soon?" Avery murmurs after a few minutes, her sad eyes trained on my unconscious mate.

"The doctors say he will, and I trust them." I murmur back, trying to word it carefully.

The truth is, not even the doctors know what's going on with Seth. He was supposed to be awake by now, but unforeseen complications have made his healing process slow down...so they have no real idea when he'll wake up...

Avery jumps off of my lap and runs to the air mattress where she's insisted on sleeping, not wanting to leave me or Seth since she got here. She grabs the large bunny I got for her in Paris and goes back to Seth's bed, carefully placing the plush animal beside him before returning to my lap.

"There, maybe Mr. Ears will help him feel better." She murmurs, and I press a kiss to the top of her head as my eyes water.

"Definitely sweetheart, I think it will...now how about we get some sleep?" I sniff, and she looks up at me curiously.

"You promise to nap with me this time?" She asks, and I sigh. She's noticed my lack of rest as well...