Chapter 34

"That's Miss Avocet. She's as close to royalty as we peculiars have. . . today there's not an ymbryne worth her wings who didn't pass under Miss Avocet's tutelage at one time, myself included!" {Miss Alma Peregrine, pg 153 book 1}

After they had returned from the beach they all went their separate ways, some went to take a nap, others wanted to play and some still had their daily chores to do. Aurora found herself a few hours later in Millard's room sitting on his bed with his book-in-progress on her lap. Millard walked in shortly after, removing his sweater and placing it over the back of the desk chair, he'd gone into town to observe some finer details he needed for his work. He approached Aurora who handed him is leather bound journal with a smile.

"It's really coming along." She commented bringing her hand to her shoulder.

"Are you alright, darling?" he asked noticing her rubbing the juncture between her neck, collarbone and shoulder. She shrugged, then winced from the movement.

"I was just helping Emma with her chores and I think I pulled something when I held the rope for her." She explained rubbing harder.

"Take your shirt off." Millard said and Aurora turned to him bewildered. Millard noticed how misconstrued his words sounded and stuttered as he tried to explain himself, "I mean – I - just – just trust me?"

Aurora paused for a beat of silence, she did trust Millard – with all her heart, and knew he'd never pressure her into anything. She slowly pulled the bottom of her white shirt from the waistband of her skirt, she winced again when she had to lift her shoulder to remove it and she felt Millard helping pull the fabric over her head. He threw the shirt aside and placed his hand on her upper arm pushing her back onto the bed.

"Lie down" he instructed, his voice like a whisper. Aurora did what he asked, her arms folded over her chest as her self consciousness rose. Millard had never seen her so bare before, even her swimsuit didn't reveal this much, she felt a blush creep onto her cheeks.

"Turn onto your stomach." She did, and pulled a pillow toward her, folded her hands on it and rested her chin there. She felt the bed dip under Millard's weight as he placed a knee on either side of her, straddling her waist. She felt his hands trace up her spine until he came to her bra. He unhooked the back and slowly, hesitantly pulled the straps down her shoulders. She hummed in bliss as he began massaging her hurt shoulder working out the knots. He used several techniques, his thumbs, his knuckles and his palms as he massaged the pain away.

"Better?" he asked.

"Much." She said in delight as he continued to work, now also massaging her bare back. She gasped in surprise when she felt his lips start kissing up and down her spine. After he came back up to kiss her shoulder she sat up a bit straighter and turned to her side. Millard sat up too wondering if he'd gone too far.

"Sorry." He apologized as he re-hooked her bra, "I didn't mean to – "

Aurora cut him off mid-sentence by sitting up, pressing her lips to his and pulling him down on top of her. Millard responded just as passionately to her enthusiasm as they kissed senselessly. Aurora's fingers ran through his short hair as they ran out of breath and Millard started kissing down her neck. As he occupied himself with the spot just under her jaw – a favorite spot of his she'd noticed – she began unbuttoning his shirt. She gasped again as she felt his hands trace her ribs as she finished with the last button.

Her hands immediately began running up and down his chest, all the way to his navel where she felt a trail of fine hair that led even lower. From there her hands moved under his shirt to his back as she desperately held him as close as she could. But her grip wasn't enough as Millard's kisses moved lower as well, her hands returned to his hair as he kissed down past her collarbone, down her chest and started leaving kisses on her stomach. After he'd left multiple marks he returned to kissing her lips and she happily let him take her breath away. She began tracing his chest again this time letting her fingers run along the waistband of his pants when Millard froze and pulled away.