Part 8

I had just sat back down after putting Ava to bed and picked up my crotchet hook to continue on my night project when Dustin came in.

I looked up at him, slightly surprised he was still here.

I saw the way he had struggled with the work load today and I thought he would have left, thinking this was too much hard work. Well, harder than his actual job.

"The horse." He started and that's all I needed him to say as I stood up and went to the door. I slipped on my gum boots and went straight for the barn.

I went to a pale and ran the taps on, filling the bucket with warm water and picked up a clean clothe.

I slowly entered the stall and soothed her, rubbing her nose and neck.

"Hey girl. How you doing?" I whispered to her. She paced in the stall and stopped again, neighing out her complaints.

I picked up the clothe out off the bucket and rinsed it out, before cleaning her. I made sure I got all her second half, taking away any dirt that might cause an infection to the newborn.

After I was done, I took the bucket and left the stall, sitting away from it.

"Aren't you going to keep an eye on her?" I heard Dustin.

I shook my head. I had made the place dark except where I was hidden.

"Not right now. She will want privacy. I'll check on her soon. She is close, so I don't want to leave her."

I actually wanted my bed, but I knew that wasn't happening. "I'll make coffee. Do you want one?" I asked Dustin as I stood.

"No thanks."

I went back to the house and returned ten minutes later with a mug. "I'm sorry for you having a disturbed sleep tonight."

Dustin shrugged as I sat next to him on a bale. "I've forgotten what it's like, out here."

I laughed. "You have. Not a single ounce of you belong out here. You've even lost that country drawl accent we have."

Dustin smiled at me. "I know. Only took about four years for that to go. By the time it left, I was disappointed, girls liked it."

I giggled.

"But I understand why they do."

I didn't get to question him as I heard my mare call out. I stood up and looked over the gate from where I was before sitting down again.

Chocolate was laying down. I watched from a distance as I saw her head as she stood, then laid down again.

"Not long now." I muttered.

"Have you done this before?" Dustin asked me as I nodded.

"I've helped birthed some animals, and I've seen many more. Cats, dogs, horses and cows."

"You never had animals when I lived next door."

I shook my head. "No, I started buying them shortly after my parents left. I needed a source of income." My eyes stayed glued to the stall.

"Where are you parents now?" Dustin asked me.

I frowned before sighing. I'm due to visit mum. "They moved about an hours drive to a town. They needed to be closer to doctors and hospitals." I answered Dustin. Why is he so curious? Why would he care?

I watched Chocolate again as she went back down. Excited in this ordeal, I tapped Dustin on the leg. "Come."

We walked up to the stall to watch, and immediately I knew something was wrong.

"I need you to pat her on her head." I told Dustin as I went to the sink and washed my hands and arms.

"What are you going to do?" Dustin asked me as he hesitantly opened the stall door.

I walked past him, a smile on my face. "I'm birthing a foal."

Chocolate laid on her side partially as she flicked her tail around.

"Talk to her. Calm her." I told him as I assessed what I saw. Okay.

The foal was stuck. The front hooves were coming out and I saw a nostril. I heard Dustin talk to the horse, his hand constantly rubbing her.

Wiggling my fingers, I mentally prepared myself for this. I took a deep breathe and placed my hands on the wet hooves.

They travelled up as I took a better grip, ignoring the slimy feeling of the sac.

"Oh god! What are you doing?" Dustin asked.

"Don't freak her out! As soon as I have the foal out, you need to get out straight away." I told him. I tugged on the legs, gently enough though not to upset the mare.

I could feel the contractions rippling on my wrists as I pulled again.

I had managed to get the foal partly out, enough for a head to appear. I moved my hands up the legs more and as I felt another contraction, I tugged again.

It took another two before the foal was safely out and Dustin left the stall.

My hands and arms were covered in mucus and blood as I followed him and quickly washed it off.

"This is an everyday thing for you?" Dustin asked as I laughed.

"I know what I'm doing." I assured him as I picked up an old towel and went to the stall, drying my hands.

The sight in front of me was magical. A mother and child. I watched as Chocolate cleaned her baby. She was walking around the foal, a clean here and there as the foal attempted to stand.

"It must be so wonderful." I muttered aloud, forgetting Dustin was with me.

Dustin turned to me in confusion. "Childbirth? Shouldn't you know?"