Part 17

Another day, I moaned to myself. And I did it again. After last night's adventure with the feathered animals, Dustin and I, well, one thing led to another.

"That blasted rooster!" Dustin groaned.

"Well, catch him and we'll have him for dinner." I mumbled as I found a shirt. I sat up in bed and pulled the shirt down.

"You're not serious, are you?"

I looked over my shoulder and grinned. "Welcome to a self dependable farm."

I threw the blankets off me as I got some jeans out off a drawer and slipped them up. Dustin must have turned his phone back on because all I heard was constant and repetitive dings.

"You're obviously missed back at work." I muttered to him as I pulled on socks.

"Yeah." Dustin sounded so distant but pulled me down. "But I've been enjoying my time here too much."

I smiled at him. "When do you leave?"

"Are you trying to get rid off me?" He laughed as I felt his kiss on my lips.

"Actually, I have planned on taking full advantage of your presence here." I grinned at him.

"Sunday morning." Dustin sighed as he got off the bed. "It's an eight hour drive."

I got back up and brushed my hair, leaving it down. "Well, get to work before you leave." I joked as I started to walk to the bathroom.

Ava was just getting out off bed, to my surprise and I quickly slammed my bedroom door behind me.

"Ava! You're up early sweetie." I smiled at her, my hands behind me, gripping the door handle.

"Morning mum."

"Ava, don't worry about the eggs today, sweetheart. I did them last night."

Ava lit up then. "Are we getting more babies?"

I nodded at her. "Lots more."

Ava skipped to the stairs as I struggled to keep the door behind me closed. I only waited till she was at the bottom and most likely in the kitchen before letting the door open.

"Where are you going?" I asked Dustin as he tried to walk past me.

"Downstairs."

"Not that way, you're not." I told him, blocking his path. "You need to look like you came from the barn."

"How else am I going to go downstairs?"

I arched an eyebrow at him. "Try a window."

****

I had dropped Dustin off in town as I went and saw Mark.

"Morning love." He called out.

"Hey, Mark." I returned his gesture as I placed three cartons of eggs on the counter. "Has Lynn got a new list for me?"

"Here we go." Mark gave me the paper as he took the eggs. "See you later."

I smiled as I went back to the ute. I jumped in and started it up when I heard a phone ringing. I looked down at the seat Dustin was on earlier.

The screen had a name on it and I picked it up. Who is Stephanie? It must be one of his colleagues that he said kept ringing.

It wouldn't hurt not to answer it, would it? Obviously it must be urgent if they keep ringing. But if it's urgent, then Dustin will have to leave earlier then what he said.

I chewed the inside of mouth, hesitant on answering. Finally, I bit the bullet and pressed the green button.

"Dustin's phone."

"Finally! An answer! Hey, I've rang the florists, wait, who's this? Who did you say you were?" Came the very fast voice of a female.

"I didn't." I answered her. "Dustin left his phone in my car."

"Who is this?" Why did she sound angry?

"Lennie." I told her. "Who is this?"

"Stephanie. Are you a friend of Dustin's?"

Was I? "You could say that."

"When you see him next, please tell him to call me." She said over the phone. Did I detect some sadness?

"Of course." I offered her.

"Who did you say you were?"

"I'm a very old friend of Dustin's."

I heard her sigh. "They all say that. He isn't the first I've caught."

"Wait. Caught?" This is a confusing conversation.

"Cheating. He is cheating on me, isn't he?" I frowned at her question. Is Dustin in a relationship?

"Who are you?" I asked her again. "Who are you to Dustin?"

"I'm his fiancée." She answered me.

Everything stopped. "Fiancée?"

"Yes. We are suppose to get married in two weeks. He said he had some business to deal with out of town. I'm assuming you are that business?"

I tried to talk but nothing came out. "I'll get him to call you back." I finally managed as I hung up.

That son of a bitch! I thought to myself. Lee came up then and knocked on my window, making me jump. I wound it down.

"Not now Lee." I practically snarled at him.

"Hey, calm down. I'm gonna give Dustin a lift back to yours. He just wanted to know did he leave his phone in here?"

I gave him the phone and barely gave Lee enough time to get his arm out as I sped off.