1 | in which she's caught red-handed

"Why are you smiling so much today?" her friend asked.
"He called me beautiful," she answered.
"Your boyfriend?"
"No. Someone more special. My brother." 

.\.|./.

Crystal Monroe

|in which she's caught red-handed|

I don't know how I feel about Jeremy's suggestion anymore. I understand that he's angry, but this seems a little overboard. Yes, I shouldn't have brought up school again because it always upsets him. He doesn't want us to lose what we have worked so hard for. But maybe that's exactly the problem.

We have nothing.

"Just go back home, Cris," Jeremy says, slamming a hand on the car's dash.

I wince and jump back, reaching automatically for the door handle. I leave the keys in the ignition, snapping off my belt and getting out of the car. Jeremy gets down from the passenger side too, stalking over to me. I take an instinctive step back.

"I can drive by myself," he snaps. "You need not tell me everything you're doing for me. I know what a perfect fucking angel you are."

My heart is faster than Jeremy's words tumbling out of his mouth. We've had this conversation way too many times, not once coming to a conclusion. Each time I bring up going back to college, Jeremy loses his temper. He's tired of me always 'demanding' the same thing, he says. It's not really a demand, though, more like a humble request. All I want is to finish high school.

I lower my gaze and bite my tongue as he shifts on his feet before me, hands clenched into fists. He's mad and I know I'm to blame. I should have kept my mouth shut and not said anything at all. When he said he was going to ask a friend for money for rent, I should have just nodded and let it go. Instead, I made the stupid mistake to suggest that I can get a job to support us.

"Why do you always do this?" Jeremy cries out, throwing his hands into the air. "Why do you keep reminding me you gave up school for me? It's not like I forced you to do it, Cris. You did it of your own free will."

I don't argue, biting back the retort that although he didn't force me to quit school, he told me he'd leave me if I did. Yes, I made the choice. But was it really a choice at all?

"Just go home," he says, stomping a foot. "Or can you not even do that?"

I keep my lips sealed.

"Can you?" he demands.

"Yes," I agree quickly.

Obediently.

With that, he leans in and places his cold lips to mine. His touch makes me shudder, a chill running down my spine when his slow poison intoxicates me and wipes my mind clean.

"Love you, babe," he breathes against my lips.

"Love you too," I answer readily, not even pondering over the words anymore.

Satisfied by my answer and manner, Jeremy straightens up and smiles. It's still a beautiful smile, but it doesn't make my heart beat like it used to. With hair as white as the snow beneath our shoes and piercing blue eyes, pink lips that spew words so hurtful, Jeremy is still the most beautiful person around. He smiles and the world melts at his feet. It's his heart that remains frozen solid.

He gets in the car and slams the door shut. As he drives away, I exhale a shuddering puff of air, allowing my shoulders to slump in relief. Closing my eyes, I bow my head and take a few calming breaths.