thirty two

April 23rd, 2017

"You look stunning."

Camila takes the words straight out of Lauren's mouth, and the older Latina pouts a little. "That was supposed to be my line."

Camila laughs. "It's true, though. I'm used to seeing you in band tees and skinny jeans, so this... this is amazing."

Lauren smooths out the black dress she'd chosen with a smile. "Well, thank you, Camz. You look beautiful, too."

Camila had chosen a baby blue, long sleeved dress, and to Lauren's surprise, had a pair of silver heels on. Admittedly, the heels make Lauren worry a little, because Camila struggles to walk in sneakers, but she promises herself she's going to look after her.

"Alright, are you ready to go?" Lauren asks, as Camila picks up a small clutch bag to match her dress. "Wait, why are you bringing a bag? You don't need to."

Camila shrugs. "It's got my phone, house key and wallet in, so..."

"Give me your phone and key," Lauren practically commands, and Camila does, frowning at her as Lauren puts Camila's phone and key in her own little clutch bag. Then, she holds out a hand. "Come on."

"But..." Camila frowns at her, but takes her hand and lets Lauren lead her out of the house. "I need my wallet."

"No, you don't," Lauren argues with her, "Tonight is my treat. I told you that I wanted to take you out on a real date, where I treat you like a princess. That's this."

Camila raises her eyebrows as she gets into the passenger seat of Lauren's car. "But you're the biggest bottom in the history of the universe?"

Lauren blushes, but rolls her eyes. "Shut the fuck up. I'm treating my girl to a fancy dinner, okay? No teasing me, no bottom jokes, and no seducing to get what you want. I really want to do this, to treat you and show you just how much you mean to me."

Camila's expression softens, and Lauren smiles, happy her girlfriend understands. "Okay. Just for tonight, you get to be in control."

I won't be later, Lauren thinks, almost smacking herself at the thought, as long as Camila wants that. But it can't be too over the top, because you want it to be special for her. It's her first time. Remember that.

"Thank you," Lauren answers, smiling a little, "so, I booked for this place I went to with my family one time. It was my abuela's eightieth birthday, and my parents wanted to treat her, so we went there. We all had to dress up and all of the food on the menu was written in French, with English and Spanish translations underneath, because apparently that makes it classier, even though we're nowhere near France."

Camila laughs. "So, basically, it's a stereotypical snooty rich people place?"

"Mhm," Lauren confirms, "and tonight, you and I get to pretend we're the snooty rich people. Maybe we're billionaire business partners and we just closed a deal. Maybe we're Oscar-winning actresses on a celebratory movie release dinner date. Maybe we're rockstars, taking a night off from tour to go on a fancy dinner."

Camila smiles a little sadly at the last suggestion, and Lauren frowns, but opens her mouth to rectify it. Maybe Camila would prefer a different kind of scenario. But before Lauren can do anything, Camila speaks.

"You'd really be with me in any of those situations?" Camila asks. "If we were famous rockstars or... or pop stars, taking a night off from tour to go on a date."

"Of course," Lauren answers, without hesitation. "I've always believed that every decision we make shapes who we are as people, and in each possible... I guess alternate universe, it diverts from every big decision. But there are certain things in our lives that are fixed. Our person, in every single version of our universe, is a fixed thing. You're my person, Camz. So... whether we're rockstars, actresses, business partners... fucking Pokémon trainers, I know we'd be together."