Judgement Day

Published on December 12th, 2018.

09.30. At long last - though at least a year too late - the patience of the parliamentary Tory Party has snapped and Theresa May faces the long anticipated vote of no confidence. I wonder though if the time has passed for any successor to achieve anything different to the course May has locked us into: They will confront the same situation as now, with the options being a renegotiation of the deal (A more hopeful prospect with a new, stronger-willed Prime Minister, but still unlikely); acquiescing to a second referendum and Article 50 'pause'; or going full steam ahead with emergency preparations for a 'No Deal' Brexit (though obviously with expedient agreements to ease the otherwise abrupt transition.) This latest drama might even be a part of a pre-planned choreography designed to cement May in power beyond challenge for a year, for that will be the outcome if despite everything she wins the vote this evening. Hopefully we should know the result soon after the ballot closes at 20.00.

13.30. Incredible as it may seem, it would appear that May, despite lacking enough support to carry her Brexit deal through the Commons, might yet win the confidence vote! At least 158 Tory MPs (the minimum she'd need in order to prevail) when asked about their intentions have said they will support her! Of course politicians and especially Tories are two-faced backstabbing double dealing duplicitous scum, and the ballot is a secret one, so who knows what will happen? It would be bizarre indeed for the party to pledge their confidence in a leader who's EU withdrawal agreement they would then roundly defeat soon afterwards, but the financial markets believe that's just what will happen. Perhaps part of the reason is an implied promise that May won't lead the Conservatives into the next general election; but as that was never a realistic possibility, if that was the price she's had to pay to continue in office, it's loose change.

21.00. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss... Yes, in the privacy of the voting booth, by 200 to 117 the Kool-Aid drinking spineless wankers bottled it and have lumbered themselves - as well as us - with her for the foreseeable future.

Though such a vote against her may be considered damaging, given the scale of her victory there isn't even the straw to grasp at that she'll consider the votes cast against her reason enough to resign; this outcome has effectively made her all but ironclad. No doubt May will only feel emboldened by this to force her colony deal further down the nation's collective throat, by whatever means it takes.

I bet Jacob Rees-Mogg is feeling pig-sick right now: Having finally got his single shot weapon to fire he realises his target wasn't a shuffling zombie but a T1000 terminatrix Maybot which will absorb the impact before repairing its wounds, then continue on its relentless quest to destroy Brexit and parliamentary democracy as we knew it.
Where's a crucible full of molten steel when you need one?